Health Care Reform Community
Should Natural Remedies Be Regulated and in What Manner?

WELCOME TO THE HEALTH CARE REFORM COMMUNITY: This Community is a place to share ideas, success stories and constructive, respectful discussions about how to improve the delivery of quality health care to all patients in need.

I do know that there can be some concerns over the safety of natural remedies.I also know some can be effective whereas some are not and some can be unsafe. My question is should they be regulated in some manner as right now they can only be labelled as supplements and in some other countries they are researched and developed as medications. I also know even if a specific natural remedy is shown by a doctor to be helpful in treating a person or even in controlled studies and approved and administered by a doctor it still cannot be covered as it is officially not a treatment. What might people think would be some ways to address this constructively?
Nope.:)
The only reason they want to get in on this is because they see the money to be made and plus many people are avoiding 'drugs' and going the natural route and drug companies are losing money. The Statin drug companies are in an uproar and going after this because many people are using chelation - vitamin IV, with success in removing plaque from arteries.
Coq10 is being used by many for heart and that too is taking business from Statin companies. People are educating themselves and trying natural remedies and in many cases finding they work. And this is not making drug companies happy.

If we had to depend on most doctors in order to get a script lets say,,,they wouldn't know how much to prescribe nor would they know which supplement to use. And would they be limited to what dosage they could prescribe? Could we take a "mega dose" as some Holistic docs have their patients on?

The Medical Schools need to teach Eastern Medicine along with Western - equal time, but if doctors started to learn the "Whys" of the body instead of the "What medicine do we use to treat the symptoms?",,,well then most doctors would lean towards an Eastern mind set and woops there goes Chemo right out the door. And who wants to stop that - they are making money hand over fist, and, after all, some of those bodies do resurrect after they kill them with that stuff.

And what is really amazing is they are always concerned about the side effects of vitamins and herbs....geesh, have they listened to the TV commercials AFTER the drug is described in such a wonderful way and then they rattle off at lightning speed,,,," may cause bleeding, convulsions, blury vision, blindness, an erection that lasts more than 4 hrs (no comment :),rapid heartbeat, lack of bladder control blah blah blah....Scare-eeee

So I mean really its a joke that they are worried about side effects from vitamins and herbs. IF vitamins had a list of side effects similar to the ones drugs have,,,vitamins would have been banned already....

The only thing good I could see out of this is if we were able to go to Natural Path doctors and have insurance coverage for the vitamins and office visit..

But anyhow, thats how I feel about this topic:)
Take care,
MO
  Yes I would agree with that but I have noticed some other aspects of that as well. For example when I had prostatitis my urologist actually suggested I take saw palmetto which is a natural remedy. He was also going to prescribe Proscar for me but I was concerned about the side effects so I asked if I could wait and see if the saw palmetto by itself worked and after a while it did but I have to take it on a daily basis. It has worked without a problem. But the only issue is that there are many different brands and are some are more effective than others because they are more pure but they are not labelled as to how much of the active ingredient they contain nor what they are able to treat as under the law they can only be sold as "supplements" even though unlike standard vitamin supplements they are used by people to treat specific conditions but a person can't know what they are taking and for what reason.
  Also the antipsychotic agent I take glycine (which is actually a compound in phase II FDA study, not a natural remedy) can't be covered by my insurance (unlike any standard medication) even though my recovery has been clinically noted and I take it under close medical supervision because I could not tolerate all known antipsychotics and have advanced tardive dyskinesia. So there are many frustrating issues without easy solutions but its good to hear what each person experiences and their own ideas. Thanks.
There are health claims such as "you'll feel better if you drink ginger tea" or "some people find ginger tea calms their digestion".

Then there are medical claims: "Dr Frog's tonic cures cancer".

Swampy views these both as quite different.

However, insurance should in most cases only cover treatments that have been scientifically verified as effective for the condition they treat. Taht means multiple double blind studies.

Health claims are faddish because they travel not as statistics (60% of people with condition Y improve after taking drug X") but as anecdotes "My cousin took X and her Y got better".
Since my doctor practices both traditional and alternative medicine, he is aware which makers of supplements have the highest standards. So I feel confident. I don't want the FDA or the AMA to get their hands on these items. Before we know it they will only be available by prescription. We know what that means. Prices will go up and we will be required to visit a doctor for the simplest supplements. You take saw palmetto. Good for you. It works fine with no side effects. My 100-year old neighbor had an enlarged prostate and was scheduled for surgery. I gave him saw palmetto. On his next visit to the doctor his prostate was fine and the surgery cancelled. Should he have relied on a doctor for saw palmetto? You were lucky. He was only lucky because he had me as a neighbor. My view of the pharmaceutical industry and organized medicine (it's like a union, isn't it?) is pretty jaded.
NO tro Government regulations ...just my opinion .
Beginning to understand people's point on this and it is a complex issue. Apart from this issue, hopefully they will continue to research natural remedies and isolate the active ingredients and be able to synthesize those into prescription medications as was done with Lovaza (as an anti-cholesterol medication and in experimental use as a mood stabilizer) which was developed from fish oil and Rozerem (a prescription sleep aide) which was developed from melatonin. Understanding how nature remedies work exactly and what they are treating has often lead to breakthroughs as regards research into medications starting with asprin. How to deal with natural remedies that are available now remains a complex question that is not easily answered. I agree.
I don't think they should be regulated. They do controlled studies and such with them, and if they prove to be useful, then they can be further looked into... but for just as they are now, I think it'd be a waste of money to put in regulations. I don't want the government in everything, they need to back off.