Health Insurance Expert Forum
Affordable health care with low deductable?

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

When I look for a health care plan, if I can afford the monthly fee the deductible is over $1,000 and the co-pays are over $40 and then there's not really full coverage for anything, the insurance provider pays something like 40% and lab tests are not covered. Given this scenario I would pay $300/mo + $1000 deductible + 60% of my visit + $40 copay each time + lab fees ($9,112 annually for monthly visits).

I would like to see a doctor concerning my thryroid condition, but I know I will need monthly blood tests.

If I see my doctor and pay for everything without health care it's just the cost of the visit $60, plus the cost of the blood test $300 = $4,320 annually for monthly visits.  As sad as it sounds, I can't afford that; and this assumes my doctor doesn't want me to try any prescription medication.

The insurance route includes a bunch of sunk cost; is there a better alternative?
1 Comment

It seems you have some long-term thyroid issues? If so, expect to be charged more by insurance companies.

Back to your question. Different healthcare plans and different deductibles provided by different insurance companies of course are offered at different prices. It's good for you to have a general idea of what you will need to spend on healthcare. But the point of buying insurance is not about calculating will you gain or lose or will you get more or less from insurance, instead it is about getting yourself well covered. Pay by yourself or get a suitable insurance plan. There are no other alternatives I know of.

All the best