Health Insurance Expert Forum
Applying for coverage

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

Applying for coverage

I moved away from the US several years ago and am now applying for International Health Insurance.  I was born 3 months premature with an extremely mild case of cerebral palsy.  Apart from a very small leg length discrepancy and a few other "issues", I am in good health and this condition does not affect my daily life or cause me to suffer in anyway whatsoever.  As far as I know, it will not pose problems later on in life and having it does not put me at greater risk for falling ill (or getting some other illness, disorder, etc.,)...

I am now applying with an insurer that claims to cover existing coverage.  Is it worth mentioning this?  I am worried that if I truthfully fill out the application and disclose everything that my application may be rejected or that my premium might be increased considerably.  I won't need to seek medical treatment for this condition but my only concern is that the insurer might try to deny nonrelated claims in the future if they somehow learn about this.  I realistically don't see how that will happen since no one knows of this except my previous medical provider in the US but I just want to air on the side of caution.  Am I being paranoid?  Should I be upfront and tell them everything... or not?  If I can get it approved under my policy, the only claims I would be filing are for massage or other wellness treatments (since my muscles are naturally tense and tight since birth)... I'm not even sure if I can get away with that but I have been told by doctors in the States that massage does help.  I might be able to get a doctor claim it's medically necessary.

Secondly, I get tension headaches.  I was diagnosed with this in the States.  Again, worth mentioning or no?  I imagine an insurer would be concerned if there were any underlying conditions and immediately exclude everything neurological... or just decline me.

Any advice? -
Dear informeduser,

Health Insurance application and underwriting process vary based on local laws and the particular insurer’s regulations; however what you disclose on your application should correspond to what is asked in the application! In other words read the questions carefully, and answer them to the best of your knowledge & recollection. If on the application you are asked about headaches, then you would be expected to give information about headache! If you don’t remember the details to something, it is best to disclose that you don’t remember. In any event your agent should be able to give you details about the underwriting process & guidelines & help you set some realistic expectations of the outcome of your application.

Sincerely,

Amir Mostafaie