Health Insurance Expert Forum
BUPA corporate/personal cover
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

BUPA corporate/personal cover

I am seeking advice re a stance that Bupa has taken regarding moving from a corporate scheme to personal cover.
I only have until the end of this month to find a fix and so am desperately in need of some help.
Briefly - my corporate cover of which I make extensive use of as a terminal cancer patient....in the order of £3500 per month/ £40000 per year, is ending at the end of this month due to the company having been purchased by another company. The new company does have a corporate medical scheme but it in no way will provide the level of cover/costs that Bupa does. My chemo is not available via the NHS and equates to about 80% of costs above.
I obtained a quote from Bupa to continue with personal cover on a like for like product that enabled me to maintain cover for my existing condition. (Comprehensive plan)
With somewhat relief I intended to start this new plan on 1st June. 3pm Fri Bupa called to say that the quote I was given was invalid. The reason being was that they had not been aware that the new company offered a corporate medical scheme. Despite me pointing out that the new scheme was of little/no use to me with my condition, they said that they are simply not allowed to offer me personal cover when a corporate plan is available through my employer...despite it not meeting my needs.
I need to know if they are correct in saying this or are they just blowing me of as a high claimant?
The fact that I am employed but medically retired (not working) is perhaps muddying the waters here. I am in receipt of a salary via an insurance company that in effect pays my employer who then pays me. (Permanent Health Insurance PHI)
Bupa said if I fully retired (in the next 3 weeks) then the personal plan would be ok to go ahead. I don't wish to fully retire as it would affect my PHI and Pension.
I am at a loss as to what to do and am very worried/not sleeping. In 3 weeks Bupa shut the door on me and my treatment effectively ends. Any suggestions welcome.
Tags: bupa
1 Comment
Blank
I believe they are dropping you by making up a seems-to-be-legit reason :(
Have you tried looking for a highly similar plan with another insurance company by transferring? That might cause an increase in how much you need to pay but at least you get covered.
Best wishes
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank