Health Insurance Expert Forum
BUPA corporate/personal cover

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

BUPA corporate/personal cover

I am seeking advice re a stance that Bupa has taken regarding moving from a corporate scheme to personal cover.
I only have until the end of this month to find a fix and so am desperately in need of some help.
Briefly - my corporate cover of which I make extensive use of as a terminal cancer patient....in the order of £3500 per month/ £40000 per year, is ending at the end of this month due to the company having been purchased by another company. The new company does have a corporate medical scheme but it in no way will provide the level of cover/costs that Bupa does. My chemo is not available via the NHS and equates to about 80% of costs above.
I obtained a quote from Bupa to continue with personal cover on a like for like product that enabled me to maintain cover for my existing condition. (Comprehensive plan)
With somewhat relief I intended to start this new plan on 1st June. 3pm Fri Bupa called to say that the quote I was given was invalid. The reason being was that they had not been aware that the new company offered a corporate medical scheme. Despite me pointing out that the new scheme was of little/no use to me with my condition, they said that they are simply not allowed to offer me personal cover when a corporate plan is available through my employer...despite it not meeting my needs.
I need to know if they are correct in saying this or are they just blowing me of as a high claimant?
The fact that I am employed but medically retired (not working) is perhaps muddying the waters here. I am in receipt of a salary via an insurance company that in effect pays my employer who then pays me. (Permanent Health Insurance PHI)
Bupa said if I fully retired (in the next 3 weeks) then the personal plan would be ok to go ahead. I don't wish to fully retire as it would affect my PHI and Pension.
I am at a loss as to what to do and am very worried/not sleeping. In 3 weeks Bupa shut the door on me and my treatment effectively ends. Any suggestions welcome.
Tags: bupa
1 Comment
I believe they are dropping you by making up a seems-to-be-legit reason :(
Have you tried looking for a highly similar plan with another insurance company by transferring? That might cause an increase in how much you need to pay but at least you get covered.
Best wishes