Health Insurance Expert Forum
Dependent Coverage
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dependent Coverage

I have a question regarding dependent coverage under health insurance. We live in SC and work in GA and we have always had health insurance through my wife's employer. This year at their open enrollment her employer stated that she could keep our son insured but they would no longer cover me since I am eligible for insurance with my own employer. If I were eligible for coverage at work then they would cover me. I must admit that I have never heard of this as I always thought if insurance was offered to one dependent then it had to be offered to all so is this legal?
1 Comment
Blank
282113_tn?1388163349
Dear Mwalker321,

In order to comment on the legality of an issue, one has to have access to the entire content of a contract/policy. Depending on the type of policy, the participant or member agrees to terms and conditions of the policy (by signing their application); which may include the fact that the member can only add dependents that are not eligible for group coverage through their own employers. I have seen this with larger groups; especially those that partially or fully fund their own insurance. In other words the employer is the insurer either partially or fully.  

As for your dependent child though; with Health Care Reform though, dependent children are now able to stay on their parents policy up to the age of 26 unless and until they become eligible to receive coverage through their own employees.

Sincerely,

Amir Mostafaie  
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...