Health Insurance Expert Forum
Forced on Medicare B
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Forced on Medicare B

I am retired on disability. I realize that I have been lucky enough to have had good insurance as a retiree, but it is slowly changing. I recently discovered that my Blue Cross Blue Shield policy will no longer cover anything that Medicare B should be covering. The thing is, I never joined Medicare B, mainly because I had good insurance since retiring. I recently discovered that if I pick up Medicare B, I'll have to pay a penalty every month until I reach the age of 65. I am now 57. The penalty is about $100 a month over the regular cost. I'm wondering if there is a way around this, because I really can't afford it. And I really didn't pay it much attention, because I was often in and out of the hospital over the past 10 years or so. Also, I'm wondering if I will not need to take the Medicare B if I drop my insurance and become a dependent on my wife's federal Blue Cross policy. These are questions social security and Blue Cross don't seem to answer very well. Please help. Thanks.
1 Comment
Blank
282113_tn?1388163349
Dear wisertime,

It is true that most employer sponsored group (and retiree) plans don't qualify as credible coverage that can help waive your Part B penalty; however you stated "I can't afford it" which makes me wonder if you can qualify for subsidy or financial help. I recommend you looking into that with your local county authorities because even though a big part of funding comes from Federal Govt., the income level requirements varies by state & county.

As for your other question whether your spouse's coverage will cover your Part B benefits; only that plan can answer the question because it seems like you are referring to a group plan which have their own terms & conditions.

Sincerely,

Amir Mostafaie
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...