Health Insurance Expert Forum
Health Plan coverage with preexisting condisition
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Health Plan coverage with preexisting condisition

One of my sisters and I have breast cancer.  We have two younger sisters who do not have cancer. If we are tested for the BRAC 1 and BRAC 2 genes and are positive, and all of us are positive, will my younger sister on COBRA be able to obtain health plan insurance in California?  She had an individual plan through a HMO previously and lost it due to divorce.  She has her own small business company with independent contractors working for her, so it is unlikely she could get group insurance.  What are your thoughts and suggestions? Thank you
Tags: preexisting
Related Discussions
282113_tn?1388163349
Dear monica148,

Fortunately, "family history" is not factored in to health insurance underwriting process. That means the health history questions on a health insurance application are directed only to the applicant & do not address any family members. So if in her own health history there are no signs/symptoms that indicate breast cancer or any other condition, she should be able to qualify for Individual coverage. So do all you can to motivate her to shop/apply/obtain an Individual health plan before she has any health issues. I recommend a rather comprehensive plan with a reasonable deductible (not too high since she may have to use it). She can get free quotes (through the link on the top left corner of this page or on www.eHealthInsurance.com) by just providing her zip code & date of birth and call a Licensed rep with any questions regarding the plans, application or process.

Sincerely,

Amir Mostafaie    
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...