Health Insurance Expert Forum
Out-of-state student in Massachusetts needing medical assistance

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

My brother is an out-of-state student attending Boston University. Yesterday, he chipped his tooth and has been under a lot of stress because it is the end of his senior year, he has no money and my family is poor so we have no money to give him. A few days before, he left a friend's house, having decided not to stay over, and his friend's house burnt down and his friend died. This, coupled with the fact that he was less than a mile away during the marathon bombings has caused him great duress. He was already stressing out about what to do after college. When he cracked his tooth he didn't want to go to the hospital because he knew that financially he wasn't prepared. His friends that were with him at the time made him go to the hospital, however my brother was acting out of character. His friends told the hospital how he has been acting unusual the past few days and the hospital admitted him because they were concerned about his mental condition. Neither he, nor our family, has a history of mental illness. Today my mother told us that she has not been able to pay for insurance since January and his medical insurance has lapsed. It is illegal to not have medical insurance in Massachusetts, however, my brother was unaware until today he was uninsured. What can he do as an uninsured, out-of-state college student, with no money living in Massachusetts and having potentially, but unintentionally, broken the law?
1 Comment
He can get Masshealth as a student free of charge. It doesn't cover dental though. Just do a search for it, or look it up on Mass.gov. As far as breaking the law, i wouldn't worry about it, as long as he has insurance come tax time.
      shinty