Health Insurance Expert Forum
Pre-Existing Conditions on Individual Policies

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

I have a question about my options with pre-existing conditions in terms of how they interact with the new ACA legislation going into effect Jan 1st, 2014. I currently live in Florida, and from my understanding an insurer on an individual policy can look back up to 24 months to find an existing condition, and then exclude coverage for items related to that condition for some amount of time, possibly permanently. With the new legislation about no pre-existing condition exclusions, does that mean I can buy a policy on Jan 1st, 2014, and go get medical care for any condition, whether it was already being treated, or whether it was known to me, or whether it's completely new? Or does the pre-existing condition part just apply to the fact that they have to issue a policy but there's still items that might be non-covered conditions?
Tags: ACA 2014 pre existing
1 Comment
I am not an insurance expert but I do work at an insurance office and from what I have learned is that as of January 2014 you can not be denied health insurance due to preexisting conditions, but they can rate you up because of them and this rate up can be so substantual that you will not be able to afford the insurance. Speaking only from my own personal health issues and insurance they are making it impossible for almost everyone to  afford good insurance. Example: As I stated I work at an insurance company and January of this year we were not given an option for our insurance. We were switched to a high deductible health savings plan and yes it cost much less, however the idea is that the money you save can be put into a health savings plan and you can withdraw money from that account tax free to pay for your office copays and medication copays. Then you have a deductible that must be met before your insurance pays 100%. For me it is $3000 a person and $6000 per family along with another 20% up to the next $3000. So for me and my husband we must meet $6600 before insurance will pay 100%. Yes the 100% payment doesn't sound bad does it? Well again in my case it is a nightmare. 1. I do not make enough money to put money in a savings account. 2. My husband and myself both have on going severe health issues which cause us to take medications that cost roughly $35000 a month, so we have been forced to stop taking our medications and suffer. Which also means that we have had to seek more and more medical care with no clue at all how we are going to pay the medical bills. We have already lost our home and everything else we own and we have already had to file for bankruptcy. We have applied for assistance everywhere we know how and for disability and we keep getting denied. So what happens with this so called everybody gets insurance plan? Well you will get it, however if you have medical issues hold on to your butt because they are going to take it in return for the coverage you get.