Health Insurance Expert Forum
Pre existing conditions and healthcare

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

Pre existing conditions and healthcare

I have a condition that I formerly complained and was starting to be seen for under my parent's insurance plan.  I am no longer on their plan, but I still have the same problem and am wondering if it would be best for me to get back with that particular company since the condition is something that existed and is already in my records with them.  (I found out that they are still holding my health records.)

Also, my father explained the concept of insurance and insurance premiums and the whole thing is very expensive.  Do you know of any sort of student rates available for HMO's like Kaiser?

Thank you very much for your help.
Dear mpanda,

Having been a member of an insurance company through a group plan (your parents' in your case), doesn't make it easier to get individual coverage with that company. If your pre-existing condition is likely to cost money, then it doesn't matter if you have had a relationship with that company in the past. Your best bet is to contact a licensed agent or the Sales Dept. of your current Carrier & disclose your pre-existing condition & ask them what your chances are.

I don't believe Kaiser has any special student rates.

Sincerely,

Amir Mostafaie