Health Insurance Expert Forum
Pre=existing Condition

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

Pre=existing Condition

I presently have a medigap policy and am considering a switch to an Advantage Medicare plan.
There is a warning that you cannot  switch back without requalifying later. I doubt that these advantage plans will last and am concerned about preexisting condition.
If you are on blood pressure med, what is the risk? Could that exclude you from many conditions that could develop and be blamed on the hypertension?
Dear boater08,

It is true that you have to requalify to switch back to medigap in future but the preexisting condition waiting period can only be imposed for a maximum of 6 months.

So the possible risks can be something as simple of a 6 months waiting period on your pre-exisitng conditions (including your current conditions and anything that could develop between now & then), or as worst as not qualifying back for a medigap plan.

If your Advantage plan leaves Medicare, or your plan stops care in your area or you move out of the plan service area, then you fall into a "guaranteed issue" status and other insurance companies that offer medigap plans can't refuse to sell you their plans.

With best Holiday wishes for you & your loved ones,

Amir Mostafaie

Thank you for the reply. That is reassuring as my main fear is the  pre-hypertension could get worse but is presently no problem. I would hate to have insurance co tell me years later that high blood pressure was a preexisting condition and subsequent results[ie stroke] would be excluded.
I find it hard to believe that Medicare will continue the present payments to co's willing to assume medicare coverage. I understand they pay $600 +/mo to take the risk out of medicare.