Health Insurance Expert Forum
Preexisting condition

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

Preexisting condition

Hello, I'm in late 20s always been at normal weight. I have been avoiding doctors (haven't had a checkup in over 10 yrs) because I know I have hypertension. I don't want it diagnosed because then it will become a pre-existing condition and cost me literally 10s if not 100s of thousands of dollars more in medical costs over my life span. Plus, since I'm of average health, it is most likely genetic hypertension which means it will never be cured. The best I could hope for is to "manage" it for the rest of my life which translates to a ton of money and constantly taking drugs that have bad side-effects. My question to you is why should I go to the doctor now?