Health Insurance Expert Forum
Provider didn't tell me they were out of network, what to do?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Provider didn't tell me they were out of network, what to do?

I'm going to a physical therapist.  My physical therapist benefit, according to my benefit sheet is $25 copay, no deductible in network.  I've been going for almost 2 months now and I just looked at my insurance sheets that come in the mail.  I've only had 2 insurance sheets come in so far.  I was out of town so I didn't get to open the mail.

They're not covering anything :-(  I don't understand why.  It's hard for me to call them because their hours are weird.  But one sheet is giving me a code that is "charges exceed the reasonable and customary allowance".  I don't understand how they can do that.  They've done that before to my dental.  I thought they have to cover whatever the charges are less the copay.

Then..... this is the one that really hit me.  I'm getting codes that say "Non HSM/ No Discounts Available" and then it gives me a list of how much is covered, and then it shows a deductible amount.

I don't have any deductible for in network, which leads me to believe that this physical therapy place is out of network.  But I was referred to them by my primary doctor who only gives me prescriptions for in network (I did physical therapy once before and I had no problems).  I called them and asked if they accepted my insurance and they said yes.  They said nothing about not being in network.  On their website they say they accept my insurance too.  So I don't know what to do.  Do I call my insurance and try to work with them?  Do I call the physical therapy place and ask what's up?  What if they end up telling me "no you're actually out of network"?  I can't afford to pay what could be  $3000-4000 for almost 2 months worth of therapy 2x/week. I NEVER would have gone to them out of network. The worst part is I don't feel any better really.  And all the exercises they had me do, I could have been doing it at home or in the gym twice a week.  I feel like they lied to me just to get me in the door.

Any help/suggestions/advice is most appreciated.