Health Insurance Expert Forum
Surgery approved; changing employers?

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

Surgery approved; changing employers?

I'm scheduled to have surgery later this year. My surgery was approved by my current employer's health plan (which I've had for over 10 years). Between now and my surgery date (in December), I'll be changing employers and, obviously, insurance plans.

I understand the pre-existing condition clauses (I think), but how does a surgery work? If Insurance A (my current one) has approved me for surgery, does that mean Insurance B (my new company) could deny me that surgery? Would I have to go through certification again (where the doctor's sent in my records and I waited to see if my current insurance company would cover the procedure?

Thank you for any help,
Sarah
1 Comment
Hi Sarah

That one insurer has approved of that surgery does not necessarily mean any other insurers would do so. They are two seperate companies. I'm not sure but it's likely for Insurance B to NOT pay for yoour surgery in December as it's within the waiting period.

However, as far as I know, you may continue your contract with Insurance A, transferring from a group plan to an individual plan, which you will just be required to fill out a form and pay the right premium yourself, maybe with exclusions on extreme items such as maternity for a period of time (this is the case for insurance companies like A+ International, William Russell and DVK) All you need to do is to ask Insurance A.

Hope this helps :)