Health Insurance Expert Forum
Switching private health ins plans/pre-existing conditions
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Switching private health ins plans/pre-existing conditions

I'm presently unemployed and uninsured, and have been having health problems for 2 months. So far, the only thing doctors have found is an ovarian cyst, but I'm not getting better and that cyst is not the cause of all my problems. At present, I cannot afford any further testing. I currently live in Maryland but intend to move back to New York (my home state) as soon as I can find another job or save money. I don't know how long that will take, but I estimate it'll be sometime within the next 6-9 months. Ideally, I'd like to just wait and get insurance once I'm back in NY, but unfortunately I'm sick now and I'm not sure I can wait that long. The problem is I think I may have a chronic condition (endometriosis), so I'm literally avoiding getting treatment so I don't get diagnosed.

So my question is, if I sign up for a private health insurance plan in Maryland and get diagnosed with endometriosis, then I move to NY and have to switch plans, will that mean I'll likely be unable to get coverage?