Health Insurance Expert Forum
Switching private health ins plans/pre-existing conditions

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

I'm presently unemployed and uninsured, and have been having health problems for 2 months. So far, the only thing doctors have found is an ovarian cyst, but I'm not getting better and that cyst is not the cause of all my problems. At present, I cannot afford any further testing. I currently live in Maryland but intend to move back to New York (my home state) as soon as I can find another job or save money. I don't know how long that will take, but I estimate it'll be sometime within the next 6-9 months. Ideally, I'd like to just wait and get insurance once I'm back in NY, but unfortunately I'm sick now and I'm not sure I can wait that long. The problem is I think I may have a chronic condition (endometriosis), so I'm literally avoiding getting treatment so I don't get diagnosed.

So my question is, if I sign up for a private health insurance plan in Maryland and get diagnosed with endometriosis, then I move to NY and have to switch plans, will that mean I'll likely be unable to get coverage?
Dear ArisL,

In your home state of NY, a pre-existing condition will not result in a declination of your health insurance application; however any diagnosis or treatment that you may have had 6 months prior to your NY health insurance application could be considered a pre-existing condition.

Having said that, if you were covered by another insurance carrier within 63 days of the effective date of your future insurance plan in NY, you may be eligible to receive credit toward completion of any applicable waiting period for the time enrolled with that carrier.

In other words when you leave your Maryland health plan, you should receive a “Certificate of Creditable Coverage” & if you present that to your NY health plan, they might waive some part or all of your waiting period.

Most carriers in NY require proof of at least 12 months of prior coverage to waive your waiting period.

Sincerely,

Amir Mostafaie