Health Insurance Expert Forum
Trying to obtain quotes

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

Trying to obtain quotes

Hello, thankful for this forum!

I am just now attempting to obtain health insurance quotes (individual). I have found myself very confused about all of the different plans.

My question is:
Should I call and inquire to the different insurance companies for their rates and plan information? The common sense answer would be, "of course you should".

But, I have heard that insurance companies contribute information and history on people to a database similar to a credit report.

So, is it true that the last company I call for a quote with will be able to see what other companies I have obtained quotes from.

And furthermore, would that mean that if I decided to change insurance companies in a few years, they will be able to see what claims I might have made and so forth? I would much rather them get information about me through my medical file than some system the insurance companies use to share information.

Thanks for your time and advice!
1 Comment
Being a licensed agent (FL), the answer is no, if you were to call me and have me run a quote for you, I would never know if you recently had 1 or 100 quotes done by other companies/agents.  Trust me, if agents had access to that magical tool, I for one would probably get rid of alot of "tire-kickers" that would be a waste of time, or at least ask you why you have not  went with one of the other 100 quotes you were given to determine if I could help or not.

However, if you decide to apply for coverage and submit an application, during the underwriting process, all ins.companies run your records thru the MIB (Medical Information Bureau), which is basically a database of everyone's medical history, so if there is a problem, they will know about it, and depending on the seriousness of the issue, they will decline or accept, or accept to cover you but exclude any treatment for that particular condition.

It is a good idea to shop around to an extent.  Better yet, if you know of any small business owners (since most of the time they have individual plans) or other friends that have individual plans, ask them who they deal with.

Hope that helps!