Health Insurance Expert Forum
file a claim or commplaint?

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

file a claim or commplaint?

I've been searching for months for answers but have not succeded. For over a yr. I've had ongoing symtoms (symptoms) w/additional as well. My left hand went numb last yr. and my doc. gae me anti-inflm's.Never sent me for ANY kind of tests what-so-ever. I was never diagnost and still experience tightness or tingling sensation on hand and 3 fingers. I continued to go to this doc. w/ additional symptoms(2 full pages) and all he gave me for pain managment was anti-inflam. I have severe pain in my right shoulder and sometimes back, knees or legs. Pretty much all over pain, to the point of crying. Some say it could be Fibromyalgia but dr. said "absolutly not". He took x-rays of shoulder and back, both clearly showing problems of rotator cuff & degenerative joint disease in lower back. He said "x-rays came back fine, this visits over". Since then I've gone to a new doc. He requested my med. files that I signed for over 40 days ago. He still hasn't sent them, preventing new doc. to move forward w/ diagnosis or treatment. I told receptionist of old Dr., my files havn't been sent. She said"of couse not, there sitting by the fax machine but he wont let them go". She "secretly" made copies of files for me but when the Dr. started coming I was told to go outside "hide" and come back and pick them up. I even asked old Dr. for a referral to a neuro.(My nerves are shot) and he flat out denied me. He said "NO". Theres so much more to my story but my main ? is how long does he have to forward my files, I'm in Cali. Should I file complaint or contact lawyer?By the way, mysteriously, his office is closed for 2 weeks and he's only open 3 days a week. I'm on medical and contacted them which they too are looking into why he's closed because they together have their own policies. I was told this Dr. has been in court before for giveing a fauls report of x-rays. Whats your take?
Hi. I work for a dr's office and know that by law there is a time limit on them giving you your medical records, but I'm not sure what the time frame is. You can look at HIPAA.ORG.  HIPAA is the set of laws that governs the medical profession.

I think that there is also a section of the better business bureau that covers physicians. That may be helpful.

Good Luck!
thank you for you reply. I was told by the Ca.Med.Board that if a dr. requests my med files, he doesn't have to comply even if i sign the request. He has 15 working days to comply only if I give dr. a writen request for my files to be given to me directly. Go figure? I'm still fileing a complaint for not giving me a refferal to another dr. eventhough, I was also told that he does't have to give me a refferal. I just don't think that is right for preventitve care.  Thank you again!