Health Insurance Expert Forum
pre-existing condition question
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

pre-existing condition question

Since college, I've been paying for health insurance via an individual policy after I was no longer covered under my parents. Then in 2010, I got Crohn's Disease, resulting in costly prescription medication, which my insurance thankfully amply pays.

I recently was employed by a company offering group insurance. I'm hesitant to take it, though, because I've heard the following: that if I would lose my job for whatever reason, and then max out on COBRA for 18 months, and not find a job that provides health insurance within those 18 months, and then try to get an individual policy again, I would be denied due to my Crohn's.

This is unacceptable. I must have health insurance at all times.

If I'd be denied after COBRA in the above hypothetical scenario, maybe I should stay with my current individual provider. However, staying with that provider is undesirable, as my monthly rate skyrockets each year.

I'd save lots each month by switching to my company's plan, but I'm fearful of the above scenario.

The way I see it is that if the Affordable Care Act (ACA) is upheld, those with pre-existing conditions cannot be denied individual policies. Conversely, how I understand the Romney/status quo version is that those with pre-existing conditions cannot be denied coverage if they have had "continuous coverage." Does my hypothetical "company insurance-then to COBRA-then to individual policy" scenario constitute "continuous coverage?" With regards to the Romney plan, I still can't find whether it's only group plans or in fact group AND individual plans that accept those with pre-existing who have had continuous coverage. I'm not sure what continuous means exactly.

If I'd be able to obtain an individual policy after COBRA in my hypothetical, would the rates be high due to my Crohn's?

If I understand it correctly, I could get an individual policy after COBRA under the ACA, effective 2014. However, I don't know what the case is for me if the ACA's repealed.

Thanks!
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979