Health Insurance Expert Forum
questionable billing practices

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

questionable billing practices

I found the name of an ENT on the Blue Cross California website (I have a PPO) and called her office to make an appointment. The receptionist told me she wasn't available, but that another ENT in the practice (there are three doctors in the practice) could see me. I told the receptionist that only the doctor I had asked to see was listed on the Blue Cross website; the other doctors weren't listed, and neither was the practice. She told me not to worry, they would accept my insurance.

I looked up the claim on my Blue Cross member page. It was apparently submitted as if the provider was the ENT I had originally asked to see, the one who was listed as a preferred provider on the Blue Cross website. I never saw or spoke to that doctor.

Is this practice acceptable to the insurance company, and is there any possibility that it can cause me difficulty in the future?