Health Insurance Expert Forum
what does the "Newborns' and Mothers' Health Protection ...
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

what does the "Newborns' and Mothers' Health Protection Act of 1996" cover?

Here's the background: (will try to keep it short)
My wife and I had a baby in April. My wife is on her dad's policy (thanks to ObamaCare). My daughter is on mine.
Her Dad and I have the same policies/coverage now, but right after the obamacare passed, he had a co-pay but i had deductible.

My wife's hospital bills are covered under her dad's policy. But they are saying my daughter isn't covered under his policy because she is a grandchild. They said something about getting a special flyer or something added to his policy to cover his grandchild. So now I am getting a bill for $3200 for the hospital stay for my daughter right after birth. They billed my wife $1300/day AND my new daughter $1300/day. Gotta cook those books.

I checked the benefits handbook. It says:
"The plan will pay benefits for an inpatient stay of at least 48 hours for mother and newborn child following a vaginal delivery"  "These are federally mandated requirements under the newborns and mother's health protection act of 1996"
Nothing mentioned about grandchildren not being covered. The bill I'm getting is for the hospital stay 48 hours after the delivery.
He has already reached his deductible, but I haven't, so I'm out $3200 if it isn't covered under his policy.
kind of an odd problem, but anyone have anything similar to this? Anything i can do to fight it?

MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank