Healthy Cooking Community
Celiac sprue

The Healthy Cooking community is for exchanging tips and recipes related to Healthy Cooking.

Celiac sprue

I have a gluten tolerances and I went to the doctors today and said that haven't loses or gained . what Can I have to eat to get rid of  of my belly?
Having diet restrictions makes things more complicated when it comes to loosing weight but the formula is the same.

Many sites can help you figure out about where you should be calorie wise based off of your sex, age, height, weight, and activity levels. Also being over weight many insurance companies will pay for a dietician if your doctor recommends it, so ask your dr about that. Some people don't find it as helpful, but it can be insightful if you have no idea where to start.

It's important to know when to eat too- you need to make sure you're eating throughout the day. ALWAYS eat every meal, and then throw in a couple snacks. These can be something small like a boiled egg, fruit and nuts, yogurt, cheese, etc. Eating every few hours keeps your body from getting overly hungry come meal time- and having you over eat.

Besides that I suggest move away from packaged foods. Given your food restrictions it's unlikely that you're eating mcd's, hamburger helper, etc. But really even gluten free bread can have a TON of additives and crap in it. Many things they make to get people to accept gluten free -like pastas, mixes, cookies, and breads have lots of starch in them and many have lots of eggs. I'm not saying all these products are bad, but a lot of them are and many definitely can be if you eat too much of them. Personally I advise to stay away from obviously packaged foods and stick to ones with less starch and more buckwheat, quinoa, millet, etc.

Second a lot of gluten free cooking/baking adds a lot of oils. Try to cut down on the oil and play with the recipes if you're making things at home. (Use about 75% of the total oil to start out with.) For the most part, just watch what is being put into these things.

As far as the rest of your food- think of a dinner plate, half of it should be stuffed with veggies. Try to avoid canned ones as they tend to have lots of sodium and their nutrients kills. Go for preferably what's in season or frozen and have more veggies like carrots and broccoli over peas, potatoes, and pumpkin (the starchy veggies). The other half of the plate should be divided in two- 1/4 of the total plate is your lean protein. This is poultry, fishes (oily, shellfish, or white), nuts, low fat dairy, and lentils. The remaining 1/4 is  designated "whole grain". This is where things get complicated but brown rice over white; a bread with lots more natural grains over corn starch. In addition to this visual you also need about 2-3 fruits in a day good ones specifically for fiber are pears and apples.

Because of your dietary restrictions I think you should look into a fiber supplement. You need at least 30 grams of fiber in a day. Fruits have a lot of good fiber- but if you get all your fiber from fruit, that can be a lot of sugar. Benefiber and metamucil make gluten free supplements (that are also sugar and texture free). Pysillium husk is also a good one (Works awesome in bread, gives it a lot of texture without the gumminess of xanthum and guar gum.) Honestly I add some of these to breads, muffins, pancakes, and yogurt. LSA,  linseed and almond meal also have a good deal of fiber in it, but it can be kind of fatty so it needs to be used in small amounts.

With all this fiber it's important you're also getting enough water. Get a 1 liter bottle and keep it on you, try to fill it up at least once a day.

I honestly feel like I'm forgetting something, but hopefully this helps start your weight loss.
Thank you for your comment and I will do it as of today 3-16-12.
Deborah