Good Cookbook for Someone Trying to Increase HDL
Hello Peekawho,

My HDL cholesterol is only in the upper 20's and I'm trying to raise it through lifestyle changes. I saw in a post in the archives that your husband had a similar problem so I thought you might be able to comment. I've been reading up on the subject and it appears that what is recommended is essentially a Mediterranean diet that is more carb restricted in favor of more fish, nuts, olive oil etc.

I was wondering if there were any cookbooks with Mediterranean and/or fish recipes that you could recommend from personal experience that might be useful.  

J.

My boyfriend also has low HDL's and I've been looking up recipes to help increase his HDL's. Lately I've been reading a book called Ultrametabolism by Dr. Hymen. He has some tips about foods that lead to a healthier lifestyle and indirectly these recipes should raise HDL as well. You may want to check it out. I'll probably be starting the diet in the next few days after I find time to go to the grocery store.

I'll report back on his HDLs after we've gone through the diet and he's re-tested.
Exercise is another way to increase ones HDL levels.

Within 6 months time, I raised mine from 56 to 86 by just walking!
The Mediterranean diet you mention is great, as is plain old weight loss and good exercise.

Search the archives here.  My personal favorite is the Morrocan Stewed chicken.  Everyone who has made it, loves it.