Healthy Cooking Community
HEALTH
About This Community:

The Healthy Cooking community is for exchanging tips and recipes related to Healthy Cooking.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

HEALTH

WHAT TYPE OF FOOD GOOD FOR OUR HEALTH?
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
506791_tn?1350343103
Every, naturally occurring food, whether of animal or plant origin is good for someone's health.

The key is to try different things and see what does best for you.

For example, I am an obligate omnivore.

I eat a lot of red and "white" meat, butter, other dairy products, bread, pasta, beans/legumes, potatoes, whole grains and fruits/vegetables (well below the "Recommended Daily Allowance).  I also consume coffee, tea, alcoholic beverages...

My cholesterol readings are well within normal range, though my blood pressure is at the high end of normal (a family trait).  I carry extra weight (also a family trait).

When I had all the testing leading up to my pacemaker implantation 2 years ago, the cardiologist and other medical folk involved were all astounded at my cardio-vascular health and cardio-pulmonary fitness.

Especially, in light of my diet, and the fact I do no exercise save the manual labor, which is a part of my job.

I picked the right grandparents.

That being said...

For some folks, a strict Vegan regime may be the ticket to living a healthy life.

I'm not a big fan of "technical" eating.

I am a fan of seeking sound medical advice on your overall and particular health, of "listening" to one's own body for what it wants, of trying to maintain overall balance, of indulging oneself as a treat.

take care - Pip
Blank
1312414_tn?1273745882
Natural, whole grains, fiber
Blank
888132_tn?1304671543
A mixed balanced diet including many fruits and vegetables. Sources of protien (meat, fish, quorn, tofu etc) and carbohydrates (Potato, pasta, rice, breads etc) should be varied. Try and avoid eating the same foods every day to try and ensure your body gets all of the nutrients it needs. Were ever possible aviod food that is pre-made (ready meals etc) and make your meals yourself, if it comes out of a box or bag you have no control over what is in it (salt, 'E' numbers etc). Also aviod frying foods or adding lots of oil to things when cooking. Poaching, steaming, roasting etc are much healthier. Try and aviod burning food as this can cause carcanagens (cancer causing stuff) to form.

Hope that helps!
Blank
483733_tn?1326802046
Excellent advice from everyone.  I use cold pressed virgin olive oil or canola oil when oil is needed.  I do consider processed foods to be evil and try very hard to keep them out of my diet.  Learning to cook can help immensely in making you healthy.  Try taking some lessons so you can avoid buying the processed foods.  A lot of sugar should be avoided as well as artificial sweeteners.  It is OK to have a treat once in a while.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Healthy Cooking Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...