Healthy Cooking Community
Healthy, tasty AND affordable; can it be done?
About This Community:

The Healthy Cooking community is for exchanging tips and recipes related to Healthy Cooking.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Healthy, tasty AND affordable; can it be done?

Id love to start eating healthy again. I've fallen off the wagon since I started work. 4 in the morning starts mean I'm hungrier more often and working in a bakery means there is always a sausage roll within reach!

I'm stuck on healthy meals. My dad and his wife are strict dieters. I used to hate eating at their house. It was always a pathetic looking plate of new potatoes and a unseasoned chicken breast. No sauces were allowed. No butter. Nothing.
I enjoy my food and I don't think healthy should compromise flavour.
Another problem is affordability. I always look for a bargain but surely all fresh foods and especially meat, will all add up at the end of the month.

Is really really appreciate it if members could post some of their favourite home recipes which they feel are healthy whilst still being healthy. Whether its breakfast, lunch or dinner, anything contributions would be great to get me enthusiastic about home cooking again! Please share, I would LOVE to see what you all have to offer.
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
2217782_tn?1394367572
Healthy whilst still being tasty*** lol!
Blank
Healthy and tasty is totally doable... It's just the affordable bit that's difficult!

I've seen some good stuff lately, so will try and remember to post it here!
Blank
2217782_tn?1394367572
Thank you for your reply, I had given up on one lol!
I would love if you could do that! Thanks!
Blank
649848_tn?1357751184
You don't have to buy everything fresh or organic for it to be healthy.  If you can't do fresh, try frozen.  You can "dress up" plain veggies with lemon juice, olive oil, herbs and spices - they don't have to be just plain and bland.

There are a lot of things you can substitute to make dishes healthier, but still tasty...... for instance on a baked potato, try some fat free beef broth to add flavor or some Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.  Actually, Greek yogurt can be used in almost any dish that calls for sour cream.  When baking, you can often substitute apple sauce for oil in many recipes.

Opt for whole grains and brown rice over processed or white bread/rice.

For breakfast try an omelette with diced tomatoes, baby spinach and mushrooms, with a slice of whole grain toast and a few berries.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Healthy Cooking Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank