Healthy Cooking Community
Healthy Recipes for Kids

The Healthy Cooking community is for exchanging tips and recipes related to Healthy Cooking.

Healthy Recipes for Kids

I was hoping some one could give me info on some good Websites or Books that could give me some recipes for kids that are healthy and SIMPLE. By simple I mean pretty basic stuff that doesn't have a lot of spices or prep time and is inexpensive. I'm a single mom of 5 kids and (i'm disabled so we live off of my Social Security Disability) we get a lot of food boxes which has basic stuff like rice,beans,pasta's,lunchmeat,hamburger and canned foods. I guess I need to learn healthy ways to prepare food too because I was raised and taught to cook by frying and eating really high carb meals. This has resulted in obesity and type II diabetes in my family line. ANY HELP, ADVICE, COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, ENCOURAGEMENT, and PRAYERS would be appreciated!! I don't know where to start!  Thank you for taking the time to read this!  
I have what you need , send me a Pm I have books on healthy cooking for children I also send them to med help members  free gratis ... encouragement is good , I have some ideas to help you, contact me   marg
Another idea for any mom looking for good books on healthy cooking for themselves or for the family, check out Amazon.com they do have really low priced books , you actually in some cases just paty for the shipping. E Bay may also , and have you Craigslist sometimes free books are offered there ...May I also suggest get em out walking ,its the best and great to do it as a group ...
Here are some food ideas for you:

PASTA
- add chopped carrots, peppers, mushrooms &/or zucchini to pasta sauces (you can grate if you need to hide from non-loving vegetable lovers
- Instead of buying pasta sauces buy canned tomatoes (doesn't matter if whole, crushed or chopped) and then sautee some chopped onions and garlic in a bit of olive oil, add the tomatoes, salt & pepper and a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste and cook over medium low for about 10 - 15 minutes.  If you want to, add some lean ground beef to the onion and garlic until browned (or add some cut up cooked chicken) before adding the tomatoes.  If the hamburg is not lean, cook separately and then drain the oil before adding.
- You can even make boxed Mac and cheese healthier by replacing the butter and milk with canned tomatoes and maybe even some hamburg - helps you stretch it too.

CHICKEN FINGERS
- Don't buy them.  Buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs.  Cut the meat into finger sizes.  Dunk in some flour with salt & pepper added, then in a beaten egg and then into bread crumbs or crushed cereal (corn flakes, rice krispies, special K, etc.) and then bake on an oiled (canola oil) cookie sheet at 350 F for 10 minutes, turn over and then bake another 10 minutes.
- Do the same for fish sticks - buy halibut, cod, or sole and do the same way.

CHILI
- brown ground beef and onions & garlic, then add salt & pepper, canned tomatoes, canned beans, a bit of oregano, chili powder and cumin (adjust to taste).  Serve over rice.

BEANS & RICE
- In a frying pan coat the pan with olive oill then add some chopped green onions and garlic and canned tomatoes.  Cook on medium for about 10 minutes.  Then add kidney beans with a bit of the juice and cook another 10 minutes.  Add a bit of ketchup and adjust seasonings.  Serve over long grain rice (try brown if you can) cooked with a bit of turmeric and cumin.
- Search for recipes that use dried beans - really stretches your dollars

EGGS
- Don't forget that eggs for supper can be good.  Slice up any vegetables you might have, sautee, and then add beaten eggs.  Serve with some whole wheat toast.
- Make french toast with whole wheat bread.  Take some frozen berries and cook them with just a touch of maple syrup or honey plus some cinnamon and then use this instead of syrup to add more nutrients.

Other ideas:
- keep lower fat yogurt on hand and use these as snacks.  You might want to have your kids make parfaits by adding a bit of muesli or granola and some fruit to them
- try and cook things with oatmeal - kids love it and it is very healthy