Healthy Cooking Community
Help, I'm Making Salsa, For The First Time!!!

The Healthy Cooking community is for exchanging tips and recipes related to Healthy Cooking.

I just received 20 very ready to go, ripe tomatoes. I have looked up salsa recipes but I'm worried I'll mess up a big batch and have to throw it away. Just to let you know, I don't like cilantro that much or very spicy food. I have a couple of questions. Lemon or lime, hot peppers but what kind and how many (because I want it to be bold but not hot), can I use green pepper and should I add cumin, tomatoes seeded or not, and food processor or just chopped? I'm not canning it I'm making all of it tomorrow and giving it to a couple of people.

Thanks!
huh oh I have got some recipes for this I will look up but I bet others will know My DH has made it, we dont like it too hot maybe medium its delicious ..I am a spicy person but not too hot ...oh dear that does sound strange .....!.
The number one rule is to do lots of tasting while you prepare. Each batch of tomatoes has a different acid and sugar content, and with that many tomatoes you should definitely let your taste guide you and not not recipe proportions.

If you are not into spicy food, you could make a roasted garlic salsa with some fresh parsley.

Or, if you take a mild chili and roast and skin it, you'll be able to get a nice pepper flavor that does not pack heat.

Your salsa will be better if you peel the tomatoes and seed them.

Lime juice works better than lemon juice, however, what makes even more of a difference is to use fresh juice. Its going to take about 1 fruit per 3 tomatoes.
Add salt and juice at the same time, tasting and balancing the ingredients. Also, add them last, after you have peppers, garlic, and whatever herb you use.

Blending the salsa or not is just a personal choice. Often Swampy will blend it if he is lazy and doesn't want to spend a lot of time chopping ingredients.

Thank you guys! I made it today and I did peel and seed all the tomatoes. I used fresh lemon, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, spanish onion, and a yellow bell pepper plus salt. I spoke with a friend this morning and she told me the same thing, taste it. I always taste my food but not that much. This definitely worked. I added salt a few times and lemon a couple. Back and forth until I thought I got it right. My daughter told me she is going to have a hard time going back to jarred salsa but I think she's bias :)  I was thinking about roasting everything but didn't feel like it. I told my hubby if he wants tomorrow I can blend a little of it. I was going to go with the lime but was nervous, next time I think I will. I used two jalapenos without the seeds. How much stronger do you think it will get by tomorrow. Only other question is, what do you think about cumin?

Anyway I'm very pleased with the outcome so far. Thanks!
It does not seem strange. I'm exactly the same way. Not enough to burn my insides, just sting my lips.

Thanks for your help guys. I think I'm going to start canning just for salsa!
If you don't have the seeds of the jalapenos in it I don't think it will get hotter.  I've not made salsa with cumin but am going to give it a try.  My husband is a cumin lover big time.  Garlic is also great in a salsa.
canning you do your own canning..? I have a book somehwre about that ...
No, but if I did it would be for the sole purpose of making salsa! :)
I don't put cumin in my salsa.

if you don't like it too hot, why not try making peach salsa?

roasting the tomatoes and onions and peppers also makes it yummy. I throw mine all on the grill including my peaches when I make it. Just made a batch last week that we broke out yesterday to eat.  

grace