Healthy Cooking Community
How do you eat healthy when you are EXTREMELY picky?

The Healthy Cooking community is for exchanging tips and recipes related to Healthy Cooking.

I want to start eatting better because I'm hoping to lose 25 pounds in the next year and a half.  My problem is that I am so picky.  There are a lot of fruits and veggies I wont eat, I wont eat anything spicy, I don't really like anything put normal American food, not a big fan on forgien foods.  I see a recipe I like but then it has a lot of stuff I wont eat in it and get completly turned off.  Three things I hate the most that are in almost everything is; onions, pepers, and tomatos.  It just makes it so hard to eat healthy when I don't like a lot of things.  And the way I see it, why eat anything you don't like... I don't see a point in it and I wont ever eat anything I don't like, even if I eat at someone elses house.  I eat a lot of chicken but don't eat much beef or pork.
I can't imagine never eating onions, peppers, tomatoes, or any other veggies and fruits!

That would be one boring, tasteless, diet.

You don't sound as if you are even willing to give any of these items a try, so I don't know what to tell you.
Ill eat most fruits just not mangos and grapefruit really.  I also will eat some veggies like; carrots, cucumbers, spinach, grean beans, peas, corn... just no pepers, tomatoes, avacado, or onions.  I absolutely hate those 4 and don't think I could even choak them down.
You're missing out on so much!  I do hope that over time that you will occasionally try those things to see if your taste buds have changed as they often do as we get older.  Vegetables can taste very different if you cook them in a variety of ways.  I always hated parsnips but now love them if they are roasted in the oven with olive oil and maple syrup on them.  And some things you don't like cooked you may like raw or vice the versa.

Not liking those things won't impact your ability to lose weight.  Search the internet for recipes that contain the things you do like.  You can usually leave out onions in most recipes and then just avoid tomato or pepper recipes.  Do you like any kind of beans (not necessarily baked beans as beans can be used in many different ways - e.g. chickpeas are awesome with a little bit of lemon juice and salt and pepper) as they can provide a lot of variety and are filling.  Go for whole grains.  Eliminate processed foods.  The important thing is to lower your calorie input and increase your exercise levels.  
I have walked 5 miles almost daily and watched what I have been eating and went down to 1800 calories a day, and have been drinking lots of water and haven't lost a thing.  Can you substatute some veggies for others if you don't like them?  What is considered processed foods?  I really don't like cooking, for some reason it stresses me out so bad and thats another issue I have.  I just always seem to still feel hungry even right after eating.
Hi there!  What is your current weight and height?  That would affect the number of calories you should be eating.  I am 5' 3" and 180 lbs.  I am eating between 1200 and 1550 calories per day to help me get down to 150.

Processed foods are items you buy already cooked and then packaged.  You can lose weight on them but it is my personal feeling that all the chemicals, MSG, etc. that they put in them are not good for me but then I do like to cook.  Just be careful and read everything.  Look at the ingredients and at the nutrition values.  

Yes you can substitue veggies.  Do you like garlic?  Garlic and lemon can make up for a loss of onions.  Instead of peppers try any other green vegetable.  Tomatoes are a tough one to substitute.  You would have to make things where it isn't the main ingredient.  If you can try to keep your white starches to a minimum and instead increase your intake of whole grains and beans (chickpeas, kidney beans, romano beans, lots of choices) and lentils you will feel more satisfied.  Instead of drinking fruit juice eat a fruit.  I eat a small container of Activia yogurt (my fav) whenever I feel I am really hungry and am going to be bad - it is good for you and only 100 calories.  

The internet has so many good videos on cooking and how to's.  On another post here are some good links and cookbooks that you might find handy.  Try taking a cooking class for fun, to learn, and to meet other people.  Do join the weight loss and dieting forum and use the weight and exercise trackers here at MedHelp.  Good luck with everything!
I am 5'3'' and 145 lbs.  I want to get back down to my weight before I got sick and before being pregnant which was 120.  I'm not really a fan of garlic, I can do a little but not much.  I just don't really understand what is good to look for with the nutrients, I mainly look at calories and fat but I don't know what is too much fat.