Healthy Cooking Community
Makeover Recipe of the week - Fettucine Alfredo

The Healthy Cooking community is for exchanging tips and recipes related to Healthy Cooking.

How would you make this recipe healthier?  I really miss this!

Ingredients
18 ounces fresh fettuccine
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
12 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups grated Parmesan
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground white pepper

Directions
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Drain.

Stir 2 cups of the cream and the lemon juice in a heavy large skillet to blend. Add the butter and cook over medium heat just until the butter melts, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Add the pasta and toss. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of cream, and Parmesan to the cream sauce in the skillet. Add the lemon zest, nutmeg, salt, and white pepper. Toss the pasta mixture over low heat until the sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute.

I found this healthier version:

Fettuccine Alfredo
Servings = 2 | Serving size =2 ounces pasta with sauce

Cooking Time = 30 Minutes

This recipe can be multiplied by 2, 3, 4, 5.

Leftovers are fair at best.

Serve with Parmesan Squash or Pan Grilled Broccoli or Pan Grilled Asparagus or Caesar Salad or Roasted Beet and Fennel Salad or Yellow Squash and Onions or Zucchini Salad

1 tsp  extra virgin olive oil  
2 cloves  garlic (minced)
2 tsp  all purpose white flour  
3/4 cup  2% milk  
1 ounce  semi-soft goat cheese  
1 ounce  Parmigiano-Reggiano (grated)
4 quarts  water  
4 ounces  fettuccine  
2 Tbsp  flat leaf parsley (minced)

Heat the olive oil in a ten-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat and add the minced garlic. Cook very slowly and stir frequently. Do not allow the garlic to brown or it will become bitter.

Add the flour slowly and cook for about one minute. Stir continuously to blend the oil and flour. The mixture will be like coarse corn meal. Cook gently so the mixture doesn’t brown.

Slowly add the cold milk whisking to keep the sauce from forming clumps. Blend in all of the milk until the sauce is smooth and begins to thicken.

Add the goat cheese and whisk as it melts. When the sauce is smooth add the Parmigiano-Reggiano and whisk as it melts until the sauce is creamy. Reduce the heat to very low.

In a large pot heat the water to a boil. Add the fettuccine and cook until just tender (about 12 – 15 minutes for dried pasta). Drain well and then add the pasta to the sauce, tossing to coat thoroughly. Sprinkle the minced parsley over the top and serve.

Nutrition Facts

Serving size = 2 ounces pasta

Servings = 2

Amount Per Serving

Calories 372  Calories from Fat 83  
  % Daily Value
Total Fat 9g 15%
    Saturated Fat 6g 29%
    Monounsaturated Fat 2g  
    Trans Fat 0g  
Cholesterol 24mg 8%
Sodium 341mg 14%
Total Carbohydrates 51g 17%
    Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
    Sugars 6g  
Protein 19g  
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 12%
Calcium 34% Iron 16%
Vitamin K 52 mcg Potassium 313 mg
Magnesium 57 mg
And here's another option:

Dr. Oz’s Healthy Diet Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe by Dave Lieberman
Ingredients:

1/2 lb cooked whole wheat pasta

1/2 head cauliflower, cored removed and broken into small florets

2 tbsp olive oil

2 shallots, minced

1/2 cup chicken stock

1 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish

Salt and black pepper to taste

Directions:

1.  Cook the cauliflower for 20 minutes until it is soft.

2.  Cook the shallots over medium heat until translucent (around 10 minutes).  Add the chicken stock and continue to cook for another few minutes.

3.  Once the shallots and cauliflower has cooled, pop it into your blender and puree until it is perfectly silky and smooth.  You don’t want any chunks, because this is your alfredo sauce!

4.  Toss the alfredo sauce over your whole wheat pasta and add the parmesan cheese.  Serve warm immediately… definitely a happy addition to my Weight Loss Tips!
oh crumbs ..another  delicious sounding recipe , I havent had fettucini much, never been a pasta person but its time to try new things , and pasta is a reasonable price ..still...the DH likes pasta I usually give him spaghetti with meat balls .
Generally I aviod food like this. It will fill you up, but with carbs,protien and fat. I used to eat meals like that (particularly when in a rush) but it's just not good (I always feel hungry later as they lack balance), especially if you are trying to lose weight and stuff. The second and third versions are much better. If I fancied something like that I would probably do a pasta bake but with a roux based sauce or a tomato sauce and add lots of veg.
I made the cauliflower sauced version for dinner tonight.  I added some chopped basil and a handful of baby spinach.  Served it with some sauteed shrimp and garlic.  It is unbelievable good and my husband would eat it any day.