New year, time for quick and afordable healthy eating
Is there such a thing?

I've pondered here now and then. Never posted on this part of MH.

I try to eat healthy, and do compared with average Americans. But the major hurdle as to why so many dont even try this is : time and money.

Eating healthy cost a little more at meal time, does it really have to?

And healthy eating seems to take time - I really dont enjoy the time it takes to cook. And most people that enjoy cooking dont cook healthy stuff.

So, to start the year off (thats next week) I'm looking for Time Saving, Affordable  HEALTHY MEALS. We all should. On the note of affordability, many dont shop organic, because, quite frankly its for rich people. Our mortgage comes first, for those that have one.

Hoping everyone gets some good ideas here.

Please post away!
for lunch i do this. frozen marinated chicken breasts, flat out wraps, spinach, salsa.

all for under 400 cals and easy to make. can switch out chicken for any lunch meats. but make sure low sodium and lean cuts.
Tuna /Chicken Casserole (served with a veggie)

Makes four large servings

* 2 cans of all white tuna or chicken in water (drained), I get these for .98 a can at the    local cheapskate store "Marc's"
* 8oz of store brand whole wheat egg noodles, I buy from "Giant Eagle"
* 1 cup of milk, any kind, 1%, 2%, skim
* 1 can of 98% fat free cream soup, they make this in generic too
* salt and pepper

Cook noodles, drain, add the rest, mix, put in oven uncovered for 20 min.

I like to cook my soup, milk and canned meat together with diced celery and onion, salt pepper, little parm cheese before I mix in the noodles. I often top with a few whole wheat bread crumbs or the best is with a handful of chip nibblins from the bottom of the bag. You don't have to do any of this extra stuff but it does jazz it up a bit. I eat this with a frozen veggie that I through in the microwave. I think this is as fast, cheap, healthy and easy as it can get.
There have been studies done that prove that healthy eating costs less.  Dry or canned beans are very cheap.  Buy frozen vegetables - they are frozen right after picking and can be more economical than new in the off season.  Put in a garden and grow your vegetables.  Making your own baked goods is very cost effective.  Invest in lower cost meats - buy less costly cuts of beef, marinate them or cook in the slow cooker.  Buy chicken when it is on sale - buy the whole chicken, roast it and then use it for a couple of different recipes and then make soup from the carcass.  Make sandwiches by cutting your own meat from chickens, roasts and hams.  Make your own salad dressings and sauces.
Like Trudie said beans are very cheap and are a wonderful protein and fiber source. I am on a fairly fixed income and I just get all the flyers each week and see who has club packs of chicken breasts, lean pork, ground turkey and ground chicken on sale. Then on Sunday I plan the meals for the week. I found another cheap thing is to buy a Turkey, doesnt have to be a butterball or anything fancy. Once cooked put in small freezer bags and its perfect to take out for sandwiches, to use in a soup, salad or entree. You get a ton of use out of one turkey. Lean ground chicken and turkey are both quite cheap. Make meatballs, patties, stir frys and other dishes with it. No salt added tomatoes and an excellent choice for sauces etc. Good and cheap and one can goes soo far. Buy and freeze fruit when on sale, same with vegetable while in season.