1 whole fresh turkey, 10 to 14 pounds
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
3 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried
4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
2 bay leaves, crushed
2 medium onions, roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
3 carrots, roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
3 stalks celery, roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
2 shallots, peeled and halved
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Remove the giblets from the turkey and save them for another use or discard. Rinse the turkey, inside and out, with cold water and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper inside and out.
3. If you are using fresh herbs, chop them. Combine the herbs, bay leaves, onions, carrots, celery and shallots together and stuff the mixture into the cavity of the bird.
4. Place the turkey in a roasting pan. Rub the olive oil under the skin of the turkey. Tuck the wings back, under the bird and truss it.
5. Place the turkey in the oven and roast until the skin is golden brown and crisp, the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a sharp knife, and a meat thermometer reads 170°F, about 3 hours. While it cooks, occasionally baste the turkey with the juices that collect in the roasting pan.
Note: Allow the turkey to rest for 20 minutes and check that the temperature has come up to 180°F. (The bird will continue to cook after removing it from the oven).
6. Transfer the turkey to a serving platter. Remove the vegetables from the cavity and discard. Let the turkey rest for about 20 minutes before carving, and then serve.
Serving Size: about 6 ounces
Number of Servings: 8
Carbohydrate 0 g
Fat 8 g
Fiber 0 g
Protein 49 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Sodium 119 mg
From Hollywood stars to your yoga teacher, it seems that everyone swears by a detox diet. But does it actually work? And is it even healthy? Cardiologist and weight loss expert James Beckerman, MD, weighs in
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.
We're in the process of updating our system during which our trackers and health tools will not be available. We are doing our best to finish this update quickly. They should become available by 6:00 p.m. PST