Healthy Cooking Community
Slow cooker recipes

The Healthy Cooking community is for exchanging tips and recipes related to Healthy Cooking.

Slow cooker recipes

I received a slow cooker as a gift and I dont think I use it enough, I do have a booklet with some recipes  but thought you guys may have some ideas to cook up healthy food in a slow cooker ,I have done brisket with veg and a gravy,that was great, what else can I do ...
I like kielbasa (lite) mixed with (I rinse it a little) sauerkraut and lg cubed potatoes. I like to add onion, garlic pepper, tsp.sugar or Splenda and cook it on high for about 9 hours. You can put the meat in for the last two hours but you can leave it in for the whole time if you want. You could also use lean pork if you want. This is the best ever and my fav ( my family is not big on it) in the crock pot. I don't use mine enough either. It seems a little harder to keep it low cal and low fat. I don't like cooking my meat in with everything because of the fat.
ohh Tiger that sounds good, any chicken ones out there, I do make curries, and they are good cooked slowly, I like the idea of the sausage,isnt that what kielbasa is ?
My favorite slow cooker recipe is layer cut up potatoes, sliced or baby carrots, some celery pieces and some onion chunks in cooking sprayed crockpot. Add beef roast, and a cup or so of water, along with 2 or 3 bay leaves. Slow cook on low for 10 to 12 hours. Wonderful meal!
Also, find a copy of the recipe book, Fix it and Forget it - I use it often, no fancy recipes just good food.
I really like this one. It's tasty, lowfat and easy. My favorite combinations!

Saucy Apricot Chicken

Cook Time: 4 to 5 hours

Four ingredients are all you'll need for this tender chicken entree. The tangy glaze is just as wonderful with ham or turkey. Leftovers reheat nicely in the microwave.

6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/2 pounds)
2 jars (12 ounces each) apricot preserves (I used sugar free and it tasted great!)
1 envelope onion soup mix
Hot cooked rice

Place chicken in slow cooker. Combine the preserves and soup mix: spoon over chicken.
Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until tender. Serve over rice.

Yield: 6 servings
Slow Cooker Chicken Dinner

Cook Time: 8 1/2 Hours

6 medium red potatoes, cut into chunks
4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
2 to 4 tablespoons mashed potato flakes, optional

Place potatoes and carrots in a slow cooker. Top with chicken. Combine the soups and garlic salt: pour over chicken.

Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. To thicken if desired, stir potato flakes into the gravy and cook thirty minutes longer.

Yield: 4 servings
All your recipes sound great. Maybe I'll get my crock pot out more often.

Margypops - Yes it is sausage.

I saw a recipe the other day for pork chops.

Pork chops, can of low fat cream soup and 1/2 cup of ketchup.

Sounds different but I bet it's good.

oh brother thank you guys for theses recipes I am going to do chicken tomorrow so its a toss up of Aprils Apricot Chicken , or her other one , I will do golden's beef next week, see when you are busy its so easy to sling it all together and leave it if I cook a curry on the stove top I have to watch it, bring it to the boil then simmer .but as this crock pot just slows cooks along at its own pace ... okey doke ..not for getting your saucy tiger ....lol
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1612,159183-241201,00.html   it's been years since I've made this ( semi gave up meat 3 years ago so I don't routinely prepare meat for meals very often here at home ).  this was something different and yummy!

CROCK POT LEMON CHICKEN

4-6 pieces of chicken (breasts and legs)
1 (6 oz.) can frozen lemonade, thawed
2 tbsp. brown sugar
3 tbsp. ketchup
1 tbsp. vinegar
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. cold water

Arrange chicken pieces in crock pot. Combine lemonade, brown sugar and ketchup and mix well. Pour over chicken. Cover. Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-8 hours.

Remove chicken from pot, cover to keep hot. Transfer liquid to saucepan. Skim fat; combine cornstarch and cold water and add slowly to liquid, while stirring over low heat. When thickened, serve with chicken over hot rice. Serves 4-6.