Healthy Cooking Community
Sprouts

The Healthy Cooking community is for exchanging tips and recipes related to Healthy Cooking.

Sprouts

I love sprouts , I usually steam them, the dh says they are tasteless, or are too soft and mushy, have you any other ways I can tart up this veg as I really like the flavor,and I know they are very healthy, someone told me once add ginger ...
This is a recipe I usually do at christams as chestnuts are in season, but you can use the vacum packed pre-cooked ones as well, if you can't get fresh ones.

Steam/boil some sprouts in a pan, once they are soft enough fpr a sharp knife to push in they are done. I think it takes between 4-8 mins depending on size and freshness  (as a general rule the fresher a vegetable is the faster it will cook), but it has been while since I cooked them. When cooking them for this dish you want them slightly under cooked as they are going to be cooked again.

Once they are done remove from the pan and put into very cold water immediatly, leave them for a good 20 mins to cool completly, the idea is that they stop cooking relatively quickly and then cool down (prevents over cooking in the next bit). Drain them off and dry them and then cut in half length ways through the stem (so they don't fall apart when re-cooking).

Get some bacon or pancetta (back bacon is heathiest, belly pork/pancetta tastes best), and cut into lardons (slice thickly and then cut into strips about 0.5cm, so you get a rectangle). Place into a hot pan and cook until crispy pouring out the fat as it renders(but not all of it), add the brussels and cook for a couple of mins, chop some  cooked chestnuts and add to the pan, cook for another couple of mins, season with pepper (won't need salt due to bacon) and serve.

Cream can also be added towards the end and reduced slightly, BUT that's not healthy so best for special occasions.

Also they taste good with sauted onion, garlic and pepper (prepare the sprouts as above). They also like spices like ginger and chilli. If I think of anything else I shall post again. :-)
that sounds good ..so I saute them with the bacon & chestnuts ,I like spices so maybe I could throw in some chilli powder, I do sometimes use turmeric on stir fries...garlic is out the dh has an aversion , I have to have a seperate meal if I want it ...lol
I managed to get my son to start liking brussel sprouts by roasting them.  I cut them in half and toss with a bit of canola oil and salt and pepper.  Place on a cookie sheet and back for 45 minutes at 350.  Turn them periodically.  The carmelization add a wonderful flavor even though they look so dark.  I will sometimes grate a little fresh parmesan cheese on them before serving.
I would never have thought of roasting ..I did JHuxley method yesterday , except I couldnt get any chestnuts, so I sauteed with the bacon, I did infact let  the sprouts, I cut into halves, caramelize in the pan they were a lot tastier, I threw in some turmeric ,but not the cream, I sauteed them in virgin olive oil   Good dish .....
Personally I wouldn't use olive oil in a dish like this. The flavour of olive oil is very strong and not good with this kind of thing also some olive oils turn carcenogenic(sp? cancerous) at high tempreatures (nearing flash point) and in this dish the heat needed is high.

Most olive oils are best used in salad dressings and the like  as the fats in it are much better than other oils when eaten uncooked. I only use olive oil in hot dishes if it is Medditeranian (sp?) themed as the cusines uses the flavour to complement the food and the cooking is usually done at lower tempretures. In the UK a few years ago all the famous chef's were saying olive oil is the best etc and it was popularised as the best oil for everything. Now many use corn/ground nut/maize oil etc for cooking as these have been found to be much better.
So the basic ways Swampy fixes brussels sprouts:

* roasted in the oven with other veggies
* butter cooked at low heat on top of the stove (this is a somewhat indulgent side dish)
* red cooked (cooked in soy sauce) with onions, garlic, and hot peppers. A sample recipe can be found in this forum (use the MH search for red cooked).

Swampy's mom used to steam them and, long ago, they would be served with a "welsh rarebit" style cheese sauce.
I don't think I have ever had sprouts before. I've seen them in the stores, but never gave them any thought. They sound yummy!
I did not know that about olive oil, I am inclined to use it on everything, except if the Dh wants french fries and I use canola oil for that ,so Virgin olive oil  gets too hot if used in oven cooking or can it be the same if cooked in the skillett at a  high heat.Maybe I will use swampys butter instead hey I have never heard of the cheese sauce way I have done that a lot on Broccoli and cauliflower.Kitten I have to tell you sometimes my sprouts have come frozen not fresh ...but I love em ....