Healthy Cooking Community
Summer outdoor pot luck

The Healthy Cooking community is for exchanging tips and recipes related to Healthy Cooking.

Summer outdoor pot luck

Hey there.  Any suggestions for an outdoor family picnic that is pot luck style?  It will be hot but would like to bring something substantial as well as a salad type of thing.  There will be a crowd there (75 people).  
Nonnie’s Pasta Fagiola

Foodstuffs: 1# medium pasta shells - cook and drain per instructions (reserve 1 c cooking liquid), 1 1# can each diced tomatoes and chickpeas - drained (reserve 1/2 tomato juice), 4 T onion - minced, 1 T garlic - minced, 1 t each fresh oregano, sweet basil and parsley - chopped, 2 ea T sweet butter and olive oil

Process: While the pasta is cooking (starting when you turn on the heat to boil the water), bring a heavy bottom saucepan to med-high heat. Melt the butter with the oil, stir so the butter doesn't brown. Sweat the onion and garlic until just limp (about 3 minutes), add in the herbs and sweat for 2 minutes, stirring. Add in the tomatoes, chickpeas and tomato juice, stir and reduce to low heat. When pasta is done, return tomato-chickpea mix to high and stir in the pasta water, cook to thicken slightly. Mix the "sauce" and pasta. Serve topped with freshly grated Parmesan, Romano or Asiago cheese.

I like to eat this cold, like a pasta salad.  If I do that, I'll add a light touch of oil and vinegar base Italian salad dressing to it, tossing it to coat the pasta, tomatoes and chickpeas.
Yeah,  that sounds delicious.  Just in time as the picnic party is tomorrow.  I think this will be a big hit!!!  Thank you VERY MUCH!!