Healthy Cooking Community
coconut oil

The Healthy Cooking community is for exchanging tips and recipes related to Healthy Cooking.

coconut oil

Hi, I am interested in coconut oil and am wondering if anyone uses this to cook with for the health benefits of it.  They do make a pure oil that is not lard like-----  and was told to put a bit in my coffee in the morning.  It is suppose to do something for metabolism and energy and weight loss.  The more lard one, I have been told people add to eggs and things like that.  I guess it doesn't really have much of a taste other than a tiny bit of sweetness.  Just curious if anyone has tried this.

I am going to and will let the forum know how it goes!
Okay, my verdict is in.  I've tried this and indeed felt peppy.  I was HOT physically hot.  Nice little addition to the morning coffee.  
I not a nutritionist, but I have heard the coconut oil is the best oil. Apparently it passes easily though the cell walls.
Cheers
Thanks kencaster.  I've heard similar things!  I actually heard that the vast majority of olive oil sold is junk and to cook with other oils.  And then this coconut oil is really excellent for the reason you state as well as the way it makes you feel and revving up your metabolism.  Give it a try!

And welcome to the forum!
interesting....I've also read some of the benefits of organic coconut oil, however I've never seen it in the OIL form only in the more solid lard like variety....does liquify real easily, have yet to try it in baking or frying. can't imagine putting it in my coffee SM...does it not leave the coffee oily?
Well, it has a tiny slick at the top but it doesn't have much taste other than a bit of a sweetness.  The bit of slick at the top makes me just stir it often but otherwise, it doesn't interfere.  Try it!!
I avoid all oils apart from sesame :-/ and I use Fry Light cooking spray. Can't imagine. Drinking an oil! Lol
Coconut oil is healthy oil. It allows you to lose weight, stress relief, maintains cholesterol level, increased immunity.
I use coconut oil for just about anything I need oil for, because I'm not big on the taste of olive oil.  Works great to fry eggs in, etc.

While coconut oil is typically in the solid form, it does liquify very easily; in fact, if it gets too warm in my cabinet, it will liquify.  Be careful of the brand you buy; I had one that made everything I cooked taste strongly of coconut and I ended up tossing it.

You might also want to look into safflower oil, which is also supposed to be good for weight loss.  Sunflower oil is nice to use, as well and doesn't give the food a "flavor".  Sesame oil leaves kind of a "nutty" taste, which is very good on some things, like whole grain macaroni, brown rice, etc.

These are all the "good" fats, but have to be used in moderation because they do sport a lot of calories.

I regret to say that I haven't lost any weight using coconut oil.