Healthy Cooking Community
cooking for a vegetarian

The Healthy Cooking community is for exchanging tips and recipes related to Healthy Cooking.

cooking for a vegetarian

i am a vegetarian and my mother always cooks the same thing because she doesn't know what else i would like and be able to eat. i am the only one in my family who is a vegetarian so sometimes i have to make myself something else because my family is eating meat. please give me and my mom some ways for her to make a good meat free meal.
I have been taking gourmet cooking classes (www.fooddiva.com - she doesn't have any new ones until fall but she does have videos on line).  One of the classes was vegetarian plus there were recipes from some of the other had good vegetarian side dishes.  I thought I'd share them with everyone.  My husband and son are meat eaters but these are so good that they will eat a weekly vegetarian dinner and don't feel like they are missing anything.  I will make separate postings for each of the items.  Hope you enjoy!
We have been quasi- vegetarians at our house for over a year now ( i still eat meat but I don't eat it very often - my goal is no meat at all eventually ).  I've tried to be a vegetarian before but usually after a few days I got tired of it because I didn't know how to cook and tried to just live on pancakes and such :(  this time around I'm doing it right and have been able to stick by it!  my favorite cookbook is the original vegetarian times cookbook. it's filled with "real" food as I call it - not all the recipes have ingredients you can't find if you don't live in a big city or lots of tofu ( I still eat eggs and dairy too ).  http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Times-Complete-Cookbook-Lucy/dp/0026217457/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214377342&sr=1-3  you can buy it used on amazon for just a couple of bucks.  why not show it to your mom and ask if she can buy it for you?

We do a lot of beans/mexican cooking here at my house. My daughter pretty much hates most vegetables but beans she'll eat.  I like to make large batches of food and then freeze leftovers for later.  You are old enough to start help your mom prepare the food and cook it - offer to help her cook for you :)  there's a good mexican lasagna in that cookbook that freezes well.  it's easy enough you can make it even and then freeze it in individual containers to microwave later.  

Quesadillas are easy to make! we bought a quesadilla maker for under $20 at target and we love it. You can throw in cheese and vegetables and make a quick meal for yourself.  dip them in salsa as you eat them and you are able to get in even more vegetables!

Ask your mom if she can make the effort to make 1 or 2 meals each week that are vegetarian for the whole family. For instance if she usually makes meat stuffed shells - ask her if she can make cheese ones instead and throw in some spinach for extra benefits.  Your whole family making the effort will help you from feeling so left out at meals too ( plus make mom feel like less of a short order cook having to make multiple meals each meal! ).  

When you make a salad ( for instance for your school lunch ) throw lots of veggies on it. also chickpeas are good to throw on top too and it adds protein and calcium to the salad.  At your age getting calcium is very important - your bones are growing fast and you are needing calcium now to keep from having issues when you are older.  

Amy's frozen meals. They are available in almost all grocery stores now ( superwalmart's even carry them ). they are vegetarian and are quick meals.  amy's also has vegetarian canned soups too.  

I like to take a couple of red potatoes, slice them thin and throw on some vegetables and sprinkle some cheese on top and throw it in the oven ( covered ).  You can even microwave it.  

Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup! it's a classic of course.  Use multigrain bread and low fat tomato soup to keep it healthy.

Veggie burgers are easy too.  You can even throw them in the microwave or just heat one up on the stove quickly.  

grace