question RE: cooking oil
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and would like your advice on cooking oil. Which one is the healthiest? But also not too expensive. I've been using President's Choice 100% pure canola oil and I know there's better/healthier choices out there, I'm just not sure what they are. I should probably mention that I'm looking for a cooking oil that will be used in the frying pan, as I've heard that there's a difference there, too.

Thanks!
There are lots of opinions on this, but I am going with my favorite cooking person and television celebrity, "Iron Chef", Rachel Ray.

Extra-virgin olive oil is the only way to go. Nutritious, delicious. Yummo.  If it's a little expensive, save money elsewhere in your life.

One problem, no matter which oil you select is rancidity. Do not purchase large quantities of oil that will sit for months. Once the bottles are opened, cooking oils deteriorate and generate free radicals, which do not attend college.
Hello to another Canadian!  I am only an hour away from you!

The two healthiest oils are canola (Omega 3 rich) and cold pressed extra virgin olive oil.  However, these are used differently.  Olive oil has a very low smoke point so don't use it in high heat or to get a fried crispiness (i.e., use olive oil to sautee onions for spaghetti sauce but use canola oil to fry chicken).  
Oils differ in only a few basic ways. They taste different, they have different flashpoints, and they have different amounts of saturated / unsaturated fat.

Extra virgin olive oil has too low a flashpoint to use for anything above low heat cooking. Also, its flavor isn't always what you want. Plus, its just very expensive. So you use it only when it makes sense: as a basis for Italian food, as a saute oil for vegetables if cooking at low heat, or as a flavoring oil.

Light olive oil, on the other hand, actually has a flashpoint above canola oil. Swampy buy it if its on sale.

Canola oil has a high flashpoint, very low saturated fat content, and little taste so it can be used for very delicate flavored foods. However, if you are environmentally sensitive you might not want to buy it because of the pesticides used in growing it.

Peanut oil, assuming no allergies, is the normal oil used in Chinese cooking. It has a high flashpoint which makes it good in a wok. It has some flavor too, your food will just "taste" more authentic if you use it. Having said that, it does have some more complex fats than canola oil.

Corn oil pretty much falls in the middle. Its a by product of corn processing which makes is inexpensive. It has medium high flashpoint, low flavor and isn't terrible for you in the fat department.

Soybean oil is used a lot in commercial cooking. Swampy thinks it has kind of a junk flavor.

Coconut and palm oil are very close to animal fats chemically. Most people consider them bad for you.

Lard and beef fat make great pastry crusts, or you can use hydrogenated oils (trans fats!). These substances continue to get a bad name year after year with good reason, but Swampy has never found an adequate substitute for them.
Thank you everyone for your advice. I didn't know cooking oil went bad; I feel so stupid now, LOL... when should I replace my oil? So from what I understand, it's OK for me to keep going with canola oil, but I might want to try olive oil as well. Canola for high temps like chicken (which we eat a lot of) and olive for lower temps like sauteing veggies.
MOST olive oils and virgin olive oils have saturated and sometimes even trans fats. These are bad and should be kept very limited!!! I prefer to use canola oil because it is rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. Next time your at the grocery store just stop and compare the oils. Look for the one most rich in the omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and one that has little to no saturated fat and ABSOLUTELY no trans fats.
Cold pressed virgin olive oil is good.
trans fats are made by an artificial process -- look for "partially hydrogenated oil" on a food label -- that is a trans fat.
I know what a trans fat is. I am a nutrition student.
Whatever oil you use do not put it on a windowsill. Store in in a cabinet in a cool place. Light and heat and oxygen exposure degrade cooking oils.
Olive oil does not contain trans fats.  Here is what the Mayo Clinic advises:

Olive oil

Olive oil contains a potent mix of antioxidants that can lower your "bad" (LDL) cholesterol but leave your "good" (HDL) cholesterol untouched.

The Food and Drug Administration recommends using about 2 tablespoons (23 grams) of olive oil a day to get its heart-healthy benefits. To add olive oil to your diet, you can saute vegetables in it, add it to a marinade, or mix it with vinegar as a salad dressing. You can also use olive oil as a substitute for butter when basting meat.

Some research suggests that the cholesterol-lowering effects of olive oil are even greater if you choose extra-virgin olive oil, meaning the oil is less processed and contains more heart-healthy antioxidants. But avoid "light" olive oils. This label usually means the oil is more processed and lighter in color, not fat or calories.
I'm not sure what oive oil you use but I have an extra virgin in my cupboard RIGHT NOW and ON THE LABEL it has 0.5 trans fat. But who knows, maybe they are just lying......NOT
I use the Safeway Select brand EVOO (I know, I'm cheap).

I have a bottle of EVOO in my cupboard RIGHT NOW and ON THE LABEL it has ZERO, ZILCH, ZIP, NO trans fat. But who knows, maybe they are just lying......NOT!!!!

Just because you're a "nutrition student" doesn't mean you know it all! Get off your high horse!
this topic was started by myself and I asked for people's OPINIONS so I can take that info and understand what to look for at the grocery store... it was NOT meant to be a heated debate among members. There's no "right" or only one answer to my question so please stop arguing as I don't like seeing my Inbox state I have new replies only to find out it's another dispute as to who knows more than another. And another thing, if you read the thread again, as I have, Alynnm never claims to know it all. She states, and I quote:

"MOST olive oils and virgin olive oils have saturated and sometimes even trans fats."
"Next time your at the grocery store just stop and compare the oils. Look for ... "

If I see another reply bashing someone's else opinion I'll be fed up and just cancel the thread if I can. I just want to know what other members use and to tell ME, not everyone else (unless someone else asks, too)... there's enough wars going on, don't need one here, too, thank you very much

:)
Jester
Sorry, I was out of line!

I just wanted to state what my bottle of evoo showed.
Apology accepted  :)
Thank you!