Hearing Loss Community
Acoustic Neuroma?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Acoustic Neuroma?

Hello, I'm current waiting for a CT scan appointment as my MRI isn't until 7 months from now to rule out a suspected acoustic neuroma. I saw an ENT who confirmed high frequency hearing loss in my left ear. My symptoms have changed from just fullness in that ear to frequent headaches, very mild tinnitus, one pupil is bigger than the other, and I can hear my eyes move when the room is quiet.  That last one doesn't appear to be a normal acoustic neuroma symptom.  Also, I have started feeling a bit dizzy but not like the room is spinning.  More like you feel after a stiff drink or cold meds.
Does this sound like an acoustic neuroma? I'm worried about the pupils being different and the new dizziness.  Thank you in advance for any help.
Sheesh, where do you live? Seven months for an MRI?? If they suspect an acoustic neuroma, they ought to be doing an MRI (with contrast) without bothering with a CT, as I don't think CTs will find small acoustic neuromas. I might be wrong. But whatever you can get done first.

Does your ENT know about the one pupil bigger? You should let your doctor know about that right away, that and your other new symptoms. I'm not a medical professional, but it sounds like something that should be investigated soon.

Hearing the eyes move is an odd symptom. I think it's associated with superior canal dehiscence (google that), but I don't know if that's the only cause.

In any case, please inform your doctor about all your new symptoms as soon as you can, and good luck to you.
From the Wikipedia entry on superior canal dehiscence syndrome (SCDS): "The bizarre phenomenon of being able to hear the sound of the eyeballs moving in their sockets (e.g. when reading in a quiet room) "like sandpaper on wood" is one of the more distinctive features of this condition and is almost exclusively associated with SCDS."

Actually a CT is what diagnoses SCD, but it has to be a VERY specific and special kind of high-resolution CT. It would have to be done at the direction of an ENT SPECIALIZING in the inner ear and SPECIFICALLY looking for SCDS. A normal CT scan probably wouldn't find it.

I'm not saying that's what you have, just something to perhaps check out before you get your scan(s).
Thank you for your reply. I live in Alberta, Canada and unfortunately that's just how our health care is. The wait times for an MRI are long. I told my family Dr about the new symptoms and that's when he ordered the C T with contrast. I doubt it will show anything but I suppose if things get worse they might speed up the MRI. Just frustrating and scary.
Oh and thanks for the info on SCDS. I looked into that too.  I guess wait and see.:-)