Hearing Loss Expert Forum
Addicted to popping my ears

Questions in the Hearing Loss expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Addicted to popping my ears

Hello

Over the past month or so I have been addicted to popping my ears, by which I mean holding my nose and blowing so my ears pop, I regularaly do this around 3 times a day, I do it even when my ears are not blocked and I don't know why. Today I was doing it and I'm sure after my hearing got worse and I have an aching pain inside my head just above my ear.

I only just recently looked up the dangers of doing this but I could not find a definitive answer, could someone tell me how dangerous this is and what the dangers are?
You are doing what is called the Valsalva Maneuver which is commonly used to help equalize the pressure in the middle ear cavity when flying, diving and is also used in some heart abnormalities.
Typically patients who have Eustachian tube dysfunction will get relief when they perform the Valsalva maneuver and report that the hearing improves momentarilly.
Unfortunately there are side effects that can occur from this technique so I would suggest that you do seek medical attention, preferably with an otlogist (ear, nose and throat) physician.

Thank you for using this forum,

Rachele M. Orsini, Au.D.
Do you know what the dangers are?

I do this even when my ears are not blocked.
I will also go to the otlogist aswell
Your safest option is to seek an otologist consult and discuss this with the physician.