Hearing Loss Expert Forum
CLEVER WAYS TO APPROACH MY MOTHER ABOUT GETTING A HEARING AID

Questions in the Hearing Loss expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Does anybody have any CLEVER WAYS TO APPROACH MY MOTHER ABOUT GETTING A HEARING AID WITHOUT HER GETTING MAD AT ME?

She is 78 and sharp as a pin, but misses alot because she can't hear well.  Every time I've tried to bring it up, she get really really mad at me.

I, (and everybody else in the family) get angry and short with her at times because we have to continuously repeat ourselves.  I know she can't help it.

Several years ago, she had an Acoustic Tumor.  Due to the life saving surgery, she lost the hearing and balance mechanism in her left ear.  So she only needs one hearing aid.

I told her I would pay for whatever the insurance won't cover.  Mom &  Dad are both doing fine, but on limited income.

I LOVE HER VERY MUCH and I believe IF SHE COULD HEAR, SHE WOULD HAVE A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE!!!

Tags: mom, hearingaid, talk to, without getting mad
You are right!  Hearing is such an important aspect of health and well being.  I don't know about clever, but I have found that those that are skeptical often benefit from a demonstration.  Do you know the source of her refusal to take action?  Is it denial, cosmetic, fear of failure, or economic? There are good solutions to each of these obstacles.  If your father is  interested in getting help for your mother, perhaps the two of you can find a local hearing provider that will provide a free demonstration in office. This way she can actually hear the difference with and without the hearing aid.  Some providers offer 30 or 60 day money back guarantees, so there is no risk for her to at least try the hearing aid. There are numerouse studies that associate loss of hearing with short term memory loss, anxiety, depression, isolation, and even dementia - these are all very good reasons to do something sooner, rather than later!