Hearing Loss Community
Can accutane cause hearing loss if taken a year before pregnancy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can accutane cause hearing loss if taken a year before pregnancy

I took accutane for 9 months. A year after stopping the medication I fell pregnant. My son was born with sensorineural hearing loss. After ruling out every possible cause I was told they didn't have an answer as to why he was born profoundly deaf, I just didn't think at the time to ask about the medication as I tho it would have been safe (this was 4 years ago now). I know they say you can safely get pregnant a month after stopping but the fact that this can happen to your child if you get pregnant while taking it really makes me wonder if there is a connection here. I have read in forums that people have heard of birth defects years after stopping the medication but am yet to find any actual parents saying this. I would really appreciate any input on this from medical professionals or anyone that may be in a similar situation or point me in the right direction to find out more. I really don't know were to start with this, I can only assume doctors would deny this was possible to cover themselves for handing out the drug. Thanks
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hearing Loss Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
May 21 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank