Hearing Loss Community
Clever ways to approach mom about getting hearing aid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Does anybody have any CLEVER WAYS TO APPROACH MY MOTHER ABOUT GETTING A HEARING AID WITHOUT HER GETTING MAD AT ME?

She is 78 and sharp as a pin, but misses alot because she can't hear well.  Every time I've tried to bring it up, she get really really mad at me.  I, (and everybody else in the family) get angry and short with her at times because we have to continuously repeat ourselves.  I know she can't help it.

Several years ago, she had an Acoustic Tumor.  Due to the life saving surgery, she lost the hearing and balance mechanism in her left ear.  So she only needs one.

I told her I would pay for whatever the insurance won't cover.  Mom and Dad are both doing fine, but on limited income.

WE LOVE HER VERY MUCH and believe IF SHE COULD HEAR, SHE WOULD HAVE A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE!!!
Tags: ways, mom, hearing aids, Acoustic Tumor, approach
I would probably see if a sound amplifier would help her at all... it's not a hearing aid and maybe that would warm her up to it. that's what i did for my dad. Try Tweak. They give you a trial period. If she says no, send it back. worth a shot.
Maybe she's fine with the way she is.  It's seems like it's the quality of YOUR life that is the concern. Try getting on her right side, that's apparently the good ear.
Hello FiGuy,

Thank-You!!!!!!
Will try to be extra pateint with her and make sure I'm on her right side when we talk.

Tigerbeware

Where did you get the Tweak from?  Is there a web site?  I could educate myself before making the purchase.  Thank-you very much.  I'm willing to take any advice because most people have same attitude towards me as FIGuy!  I just want to help my MOM.

Thank-You!!!!!!!!!!!!
tigerbeware