Hearing Loss Community
Ear / Neck problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Ear / Neck problem

I have a strange sort of question for you that I haven't been able to get an answer for yet. Here goes:  31yr old female.  History:  Smoker, maybe 5-6 a day.  History of ear infections and had tonsillectomy at 10 yrs old.  Had tube in right ear at 17yrs old and again at 19.  Enlarged thyroid -Take Armour (60 mcg).  On and off for years, I get ringing in ear, itchiness, etc and my ear is full feeling.  I constantly have to auto inflate my ear.  I had a CT in June 2008 showing enlarged thyroid on right, shotty lymphs in the neck and back and patchy opacification of the mastoid air cells on the right.  I had an "attack" last week of a numb feeling in throat and numb/tingling in right side of tongue.  My right tonsillar region (where the right tonsil would be) kind of has an itchy sensation from time to time as well. I have swollen lymph nodes (not big).  Antibiotics 4 times in 11 months. Sometimes I swear I can feel a bump on the back part of that area in the tonsil region (soft palate to side of mouth). Went back ENT and he says have thyroid out (its not that big, no nodules).  Suggested I had shingles (no blistering). I started taking calcium w/ Vit D and it helped the throat but my ear is still itchy and full.  ENT looks in my ear, it is fine.  Have scarring from the prior tubes.  I have been told multiple times that I have Eustation tube dysfunction.  Now my head is aching behind the right ear kind of at the base of the scull and the ringing is around a lot more.  My question is could the "patchy opacification of the mastoid air cell on right" be contributing to my problems.  This feeling with my ear used to come and go, but now it is always evident.  Additionally, my right eye aches from time to time.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated as I have tried to discuss my fears about the mastoid with my dr and have not gotten very far.  He says that opacification is a benign finding when dealing with a person with my ear history.

Thanks so much! ~Kim
My mother and I both Hashimotos and have a really heavy sensation in the back of the head, base of the scull (sometimes aches constantly and can lead to headaches).  I have constant ringing (high pitched ) in my ears (haven't actually asked mum if she gets this). My ears feel 'full' and sometimes itchy.  I clean them but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Mum can't use mobile phones or portable phones with out her ear and side of head heating up and aching unbareable.  We both have had constantly itchy throat where you want to rub your tongue on your throat etc.
since I started gluten free diet all of this except the ringing in ears has improved dramatically.  I have noticed that the less grains I eat and potatoes, the better I feel.  I also notice that dairy exasperates this situation.  If I stick only to homemade yoghurt and cheeses I am fine.  My ears do not itch, my ringing is not as noticeable and I don't feel itchy at the back of the throat, my stomach doesn't bloat, gas etc.  Creams, flours, even lactose free milk in large quantities, commercial cheeses, antibiotics as they seem to cause a 'rebound effect' make me worse." I read a book by Elaine Gottshall for stomach disorders, which explains some of their effect on the rest of the body.  The imbalance of flora in stomach and leaky gut syndrome pervasive in autoimmune diseases often causes a range of 'candidal like' symptoms in the rest of the body.  Eating these foods or drugs, seems to increase these problems.  There is a website you can look at.
Anyhow, individual specialists, don't seem to look at the body systems as a whole so can't 'pick' the things that interconnect and why.  It is a really frustrating hit and miss situation.
My mum is far less strict than me with her diet and has not noticed much improvement in these areas. I have with all but the ringing in my ears.  Although falling off my diet at all definately worsenens everything.
Hope any of my experiences are of some use.  
cheers Lisa
A related discussion, Is there a connection? was started.