Hearing Loss Expert Forum
Ear Problem

Questions in the Hearing Loss expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Ear Problem

I have a problem with my ear for the last 2 weeks. Sounds in it sound distorted and far. When I talk on the phone, the sound is hyperextended. Sometimes there is ringing when I close the ear, especially at night.  Also, it feels like if you're changing altitude and your ears get clogged but it only happens in the left ear. I have a newborn and although he does not cry as often as he did 3 months ago... this ear problem is persisting only the last two weeks. I wonder if that is what is causing my ear problem.  And if it is, I wonder if it will go away and if there are any home remedies I can do to relieve it.  Although it does not hurt, it is very uncomfortable.
Hello, I want to apologize for not answering this post earlier. I definitely missed this one and I do apologize for that.

I hope that you did find treatment for you left ear.  My suggestions would have been to first speak to you primary physician and have an audiological evaluation.

Your symptoms are consistent with eustachian tube dysfunction and possible middle ear pathology.  This can be diagnosed by an Ear, Nose and Throat physician and a complete diagnostic hearing evaluation.  

I would not recommend any home remedies on this nor would I recommend that you wait and see if it clears on it's own.

I hope you found treatment and your ear has returned to normal.  Please let me know. Again, I am sorry I did not get to this sooner.

Rachele M. Orsini, Au.D.