Hearing Loss Community
Ear perforation or not?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Ear perforation or not?

I always had trouble with was build up after a trip to Fiji (and diving too deep of a cruise ship with the locals) some 35 years ago.   Since then I had to keep my ears dry, or suffer with extra was build up and ear infections reasonably often.   I had my ears syringed once every couple of years with no problems.

Four years ago, I had my left ear syringed.  There was pain and then I  went extremely dizzy and nauseaus, started 'fainting'.  The Doctor gave me a few minutes then continued syringing and I left feeling fine.   However I could hear my heartbeat.

This hasn't been a major problem - in fact with other illnesses since, it's been a bonus to know exactly what my heartbeat was so easily, but now I am well I'd love to get it diagnosed or fixed.

Because I was scared the drum had been perforated, I haven't allowed my ears to get wet since;  I wear ear plugs in the shower and when swimming.

My doctor wanted to syringe my ears today because they were 'so impacted' with was.  He attempted my good ear, without success, so I am using a 'waxol' from the chemist for two nights to see if the wax with move.

I understand, that if I do have a perforated ear drum I shouldn't use the waxol?

My Doctor said a perforated ear drum heals in 6 weeks so doesn't believe mine is perforated.

Should I be concerned about using Waxol (which says not to use in perforated ear dums) and should i be concerned that my doctor wants to syringe that ear.

Many thanks - I didn't get it looked at sooner because there was no pain or dizziness with the condition - just the continual sound of my own heartbeat - non-stop.   I have suffered a number of conditions that were more of a priority - but I now need to get the impacted wax our of my ear and am concernd as to how.   Thankis
Hi!
The symptoms of perforated ear drums include pain, dizziness, blood or fluid discharge, tinnitus or abnormal sounds and change in hearing. You had most of these symptoms and the tinnitus is still persisting (you able to hear your heart beat—this is called pulsatile tinnitus). Hence, it is important to avoid putting in ear drops. To confirm whether you have a perforation or not your doctor will have to remove the wax and then view your eardrum.
Hope this helps. Take care!
Hi!
Hope this helps. Take care!