Hearing Loss Community
Eardrum Perforation, Injury...Scared

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Eardrum Perforation, Injury...Scared

Hello all.  I posted this question right when my incident happened a few days ago, but would like some more input if possible.  9 days  ago I was struck, open palm, directly on my ear, very hard.  I immediately had a seeming loss of hearing with consistent ringing/muffled hearing and tones.  No blood or fluid discharge from the ear at any time.  I slept on it for the next two days, until after 3 days, when it had not gotten any better, I went immediately to an ENT.  He could not see anything with the normal scope so he ordered a hearing test from an audiologist.  They could not form a seal on the first part of the test with the earplugs (where they test pressure to the eardrum) on the struck ear, so he assumed microscopic tears.  The remainder of the test was fairly normal (with the hurt ear performing less than the other, I've had no ability to hear low tones).  He checked me with a microscope and still could not conclusively determine if there were holes or not, but still assumed there were afterwards and said there is nothing he can do, just to let it heal on its own and see him again in a month.  

The last day or two since I saw him have been unbearable.  I've noticed the same muffled, dim sound in the hurt ear, while the OTHER ear has become EXTREMELY sensitive to any sort of rumbling, bass, or low tones.  It's difficult for me to speak because all I can hear is my voice very loud in the hurt ear, as though an earplug was in.  I've also noticed an extreme increase in tinnitus in the hurt ear.  I could not even drive or get through the gym because the workout machines bothered me so much....what should I do?  Go back to the doctor now?  Keep trying to wait for it to heal itself?  What could explain the other ear now bothering me so much?  Thank you all so much.  I'm terrified at this point.
Hi!

Apart from the direct injury to one ear, you appear to be also suffering from post-traumatic stress. You should avoid water entering your ears while bathing. You can probably wear ear plugs. The doctor can prescribe an antibiotic and a pain relief medication with anti-inflammatory properties. So yes, please go back to the doctor to discuss this. Other than this, there is nothing much you can do. All symptoms should subside by a month or so. Take care!