Hearing Loss Community
Far too loud ear shock

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Far too loud ear shock

It happened to me several times through out my life, that I get far too loud shock (i.e. during rehearsals) from something like a near guitar amplifier that was off and then went on suddenly, or mostly from headphones, where I wear them without testing the volume first.

the headphone thing happened to me several months ago, afterwards I went through a hearing test in a hearing aid center. and the results was fine except a narrow band in the mid frequency which was still within the normal range (maybe the fluorescent light in the lab prevented me from hearing that mid frequency perfectly, I'm not sure). The last time it  happened to me was few days ago while wearing an in-ear type of headphones, I still feel that I can hear perfectly but that doesn't say anything.

1) I just don't know if this kind of accidents have its toll on my ears, or are they just minor accidents?

2) if there's some kind of damage, does it heal with time? could a permanent damage occur? what does happen in there?

3) Am I over worried?

Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

In an entity called noise induced hearing loss, the  hearing loss is due to exposure to either a sudden, loud noise or exposure to loud noises for a period of time. A dangerous sound is anything that is 85 dB or higher. Considering your profession it may be difficult to avoid. But it is unlikely for you, as you have been tested and the results are normal.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.