Hearing Loss Community
Hearing Loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Hearing Loss

I have been diagnosed with high frequency hearing loss. I failed both sprint test from audiology. What is strange to me is that about the same time I started loosing my hearing I also have had congestion in my nose (10 years). Audiology did some test in my ears for fluid but they came back negative. My congestion is bad enough that I am having surgery done. Is there some small chance that the surgery will help with my hearing loss or am I just doomed.
Surgery will have no effect if there was no fluid present within the middle ear cavity at the time of testing.

If there was fluid:

1) The audiologist would have told you that because the audiometric scores would have shown that there is an issue within the middle ear cavity
2) Tympanometry test results also would have shown that there was a middle ear pathology
3) Your hearing test results indicate a high frequency hearing loss, which is typical for a Sensory Neural Hearing loss (Permanent, cochlea damage, hair cell damage etc)
4) Middle ear issues usually have a flat hearing loss meaning a hearing loss across all frequencies testes, or a reverse slope meaning that you would have a hearing loss within the low frequency area and not in the highs.

So surgery should be of no benifit to you regarding your hearing.

You are not doomed, 80% of all those over the age of 60 have some type of hearing loss. The good news is, there modern hearing aids on the market today are simply awesome when compared what was on the market 5 years ago.  

Be prepared to spend 5-6K on a set of top of the line hearing aids. If you try to cut corners and purchase over the net, I promise you, you will be sorry.