Hearing Loss Community
Hearing aid for my mother.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Hearing aid for my mother.

My mother is around 78 years old. She is suffering from tinnitus problems from last one year. Her audio report shows that she has got hearing loss of 61.6db in the right ear and 66.6 db in the left  ear. She has been advised to use hearing aid for both the ears. She being family pensioner is eligible to purchase hearing aids worth Rs 20000/- for each. I approached Central Government Institute of Indian Hearing Handicapped persons where she underwent audiology test and  Hearing aid test  (they checked only two hearing aids of different companies)  and was suggested to use OTICON - GO PRO- PD - BTE hearing aid which cost 12500/- each. When I consulted another Govt doctor he said why do not you go for more costlier hearing aid as it will be durable and can be used for at least for to  five years and suggested me to go to a private clinic where hearing aid of another company will be prescribed. I am confused. I want value for money. I want to go for a reputed company hearing aid. My doubts are.

1) whether hearing aids of different companies cater to the different degrees of hearing loss and my whether my mother required a particular company made hearing aid which will suite her.

2) what are the minimum features a hearing aid must have so that it can be used by my mother with comfort without any difficulty. What are the extra features a hearing aid must have to suit my mothers problems specially tinnitus problem.

3) In case if I can go for any company then which is the best company available in India who manufacture hearing aids.

4) Whether the OTICON GO PRO PD BTE suggested by the CEN Govt audiologist is ok for my mother or shall i search for much better one.

5) My mother has been diagnosed as having "Bilatoral Moderately Severe Sensoneural hearing loss'. Whether the above mentioned hearing aid of Oticon is special for such type of loss or I can go for any other hearing aid.

6) Whether the Oticon hearing aid was suggested based on some specific reason or it was suggested just because it was available with them for testing. As I mentioned at CEN Gov institute they tested with only two companies of hearing aids and selected one out of that which my mother told that is good comparatively.

7) which is the best source to check the price of  a hearing aid. I believe that  even on internet  the prices will be 30 to 40 percent high.

8) If any body knows good hearing aid providers in India / Hyderabad then please suggest me.

Hi!
The difference in hearing aids of different companies is the sensitivity with which they filter external sounds and how well they can be tuned. All hearing aids have their plus and minus points. OTICON is a well known brand and should be ok for your mother. Also, even if the brand is good, the hearing aid will need some customization so that the hearing is clear for your mother. This may need one or two sittings with the audiologist. The choice of companies is very personal. Apart from the audiologist, you can talk to your mother's ENT specialist regarding what you have found out and discuss the options with him. Take care!