Hearing Loss Community
Hearing goes in an out - What can this be??
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hearing goes in an out - What can this be??

I'm a 32 year old female. About 2 months ago I started feeling a bit off-balanced and sometimes I would have mini episodes of vertigo. I would sit at my desk for example, and suddenly the room would spin to one side a little. But literally just for 2 seconds then everything was fine again.

I went to an ENT. They said my ear pressure was fine, the audiogram was ok they said, and they put a little lamp up my nose to see if anything was blocked but it wasn't. Also no fluid they said. They also did some balance tests with me which didn't trigger any dizziness.

The ENT suspected benign positional vertigo and recommended that I get a VNG to further test my balance to see if that is the problem. I have an appointment for that in a week.

I did some maneuvers at home like the doctor said, and then 2 weeks ago, a few days after I went to the ENT, my dizziness improved a lot and I also haven't had that mini spinning sensation. I barely notice anything anymore.

However, a few days ago something else happened. My hearing went out all of a sudden. I was sitting on the couch, no loud noise, and suddenly from one second to the next everything became very quiet in my left ear. I could still hear but quietly and muffled as if I had cotton in my ear. It was only bad for a second or two and then my hearing came back quickly within 5 seconds or so. This has been happening every other day now. Always just for a few seconds. My left ear feels different too now. Things sound muffled, not that crisp and clear. I have a little bit of ear pain too in that ear every once in a while. It's kind of a stinging sensation deep inside the ear. It only lasts a moment. Not bad, maybe a 3 on the 1-10 pain scale but it's definitely a slight pain.        

Has anybody had this happen too? What could this be? Should I go back to the ENT with these new problems? Or shouldI get a second opionion from a different doctor?

I have a health anxiety disorder so I worry a lot about my health and I am hyper aware of symptoms. Also diagnosed with mild depression. I was just prescribed Zoloft and I started taking it 3 days ago. I know that dizziness can be a symptom of anxiety and I know that sometimes things are just in your head too but those mini hearing losses now are definitely real. I've never had this before. It's like you are listening to music in stereo and then all of a sudden someone turns it to mono for a few seconds.  

Please help. I really appreciate your advice. Thanks!!