Hearing Loss Community
Hearing loss and the fears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Hearing loss and the fears

After serving in the United States Marine Corps. for 3 1/2 years and working on CH-53E helicopters the whole time I have severe Tinnitus and extreme difficulty in hearing most of the time. (The V.A. will not help me with hearing issues.) My family including my wife have noticed and say that I need to get it looked at. I am terrified to possibly find out that I may need hearing aids and I also do not know if I could afford hearing aids or what the whole procedure for diagnosis is for deafness or partial deafness. I know that as a child I had super sensative hearing which has since given way to partial hearing loss and I have a fear that if that was a contributor to my hearing loss that it may transfer to my 1 year old son. Can anybody help me please?
I have been losing my hearing since 2001. I had brain surgery in 2001 and slowly have been losing my hearing. My left ear is worse than my right.
I went to many places with no... we can't help you. Because I have been on disability since I was in a car wreck which wasn't my fault. It did something to my spinal cord. Plus I have had to have back surgery from being in that wreck. I am lucky I can walk without a cane.
Getting back to the hearing loss --- I got a letter in the mail come in to Accurate Hearing you may qualify for new cutting edge of hearing aids. I was a little unsure of this but figured if the test was free why not.
The man at this place couldn't be nicer been in the business for 35 years. He noticed by just talking to me I was having problems. He guarantee me he would help me. By the end of the visit he showed me the hearings aids they have.
This new hearing aid has a little wire that goes in your ear at as a small tip cover at the end.  You don't ever feel like you have hearing aid in your ear. And it really works!
They have different ones for different levels of hearing loss. So my tip ---
Go to the nearest Accurate Hearing Service or the new name is Accuquast Hearing. I don't know where you live but I hope his helps. Even if you have to travel out of state for this hearing aid. It will well be worth the trip. The 2 hearings are 1,300 a piece.
They have different credit cards to help you financial afford them. So I wish you well and good luck. I know what you are feeling right now. But you can get over this.

There is a congenital type of hearing loss which is caused either by the hereditary hearing loss or by the other factors at the time of birth. There are chances approx. 50% to have the person's child to have the hearing loss transferred from the parents  but not aright at the time of birth itself. Genetic hearing loss may be autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive, or X-linked.